Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oyster Sauce vs Fish Sauce?

Coacher
Coacher Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow I'm going to TRY and make the Ginger Lime Chicken off the Dizzy website. For the life of me I can't find any oyster sauce. Would soy sauce or fish sauce be a better substitute?

Coacher

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Just got home from Ocala and spent a great day playing the Oysterman. Shucked about 150 oysters and made shooterss, bloody mary type. Love them oysters. sorry a little side track as I am wishing i was at the after party right now. someone will probably post some pics when they get thru partying.

The oyster sauce is a nice thick flavor, very unique. Soy and fish ar both salty and thin and distinct flavors. If you can get some oyster, you will be happier. My next choice would be a kikoman teriyaki marinade. Not sure if you just don't have any at home or somewhere with out any oriental food souarces.
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    I'm guessing that there aren't a heck of alot of Asian markets near you in OK! :laugh:

Richard is right, that oyster sauce is much thicker, and less salty than fish or soy. You might get away with a low-sodium soy, but it's still not oyster.

Good Luck!
    HS
  • Coacher
    HolySmokes wrote:
    I'm guessing that there aren't a heck of alot of Asian markets near you in OK! :laugh:

Yeah, Oklahoma isn't necessarily known for its cultural diversity! However, it sounds like I should search a little harder for some oyster sauce. Thanks for helping a rookie :blush: .
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,464
    they come in bottles or bulk can, has same consistency as ketchup or hoisin sauce...
    http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=lkk+oyster+sauce&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
    canuckland
  • Richard Fl
    Does the mail still get to you in a reasonable time? hehe.

Here are a couple of mail order sources.

NOH has excellent packages goodies. I like their char sui pork as a rub on babybacks.

http://www.spiced.com/SPICED/SKU/NOH/content.html

http://www.geocities.com/MadisonAvenue/8074/VarorE.html
  • If you can't get oyster, get the hosin. I would not use fish sauce, Only use that for thai soups.

Andres
  • Richard Fl
    Welcome back to the reservation. Take this recipe and add fish sauce, some garlic powder and little sugar. Place in jar for couple weeks and food process. Great hot sauce for many dishes.

Condiment, Chile Vinegar, Prik Dong, Oriental, Thailand

Thai Condiments: In Thai Cuisine there are several popular condiments. All can be made at home preferably at least one week before serving so as to allow maturing of flavours. I just keep them together in my refrigerator in a plastic tub, shoe box size.

INGREDIENTS:
    Slice 2/3 cup Phrik Kee Nue (Thai Bird’s Eye chiles)
    or
    Prik Chee Fa (Thai Dragon chiles)
    Place chiles in a glass jar (1 pint size), Fill with rice vineagar. For a real zip I use coconut vinegar.

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: Mary-Anne Durkee, Thailand, 2006/09/28
  • Walmart stocks it here in Stillwater. Where in OK are you? I may head to OKC tomorrow and would be glad to bring you some if you are in that area. Hell, I could leave now just to claim that I made a road trip for a fellow egger!

***Update*** Just saw in your profile that you are close to Tulsa. Walmart should have it for you. I've made that recipe and my family loves it but fish sauce is not an option IMO.

BD
  • Coacher
    Thanks BigDaddy and Richard,

I will check out Wal-Mart. I assumed they wouldn't have it since the other grocery stores did not seem to carry it. That's what I get for assuming. Nice to meet another Okie Egger. I graduated from OSU and I travel to Stillwater often for football games. I bet the Egg is perfect for tailgating!

Richard, thanks for the recipe. Now the fish sauce will actually get used that I bought!

Thanks again guys,

Coacher
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Fish sauce will NOT go wasted!!! One of the most magical ingredients on the planet! ;) Will be posting recipes soon from the eggfest, including fish sauce! You will fall in love with that ingredient soon!
    As far as Oyster Sauce, really, there is no substitute. It is thick, sweet, and salty. Keep looking! It is not a rare ingredient. Check the ethnic sections of your market...or find a decent Asian Market! It's there!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL