Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got fresh beets

cookn biker
cookn biker Posts: 13,407
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any suggestions other than the boiling? Also got salmon and half head of romaine to use up. Think away. Have not done salmon yet, got the plank.
Thanks so much,
Molly
Molly
Colorado Springs
"Loney Queen"
"Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    here you go on the beets::::

Beets, Balsamic Glazed, & Sweet Potatoes W/Pineapple, GirlyEgg

I combined several recipes and added a couple of my own ideas and came up with this recipe! It’s a great healthy side to turkey and pork! Even if your memories of beets are those canned or pickled versions and your lip furls at the thought… Try these! I promise you’ll be pleasantly surprised… not to mention a adding a great source of calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin A and vitamin K. Now that’s healthy!*******Here's my recipe with a few variations at the end! Enjoy! (sorry for the long post!)

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 Tbs (packed) golden brown sugar
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 tsp coarse kosher salt
    2 large red-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
    3 whole beets (fresh), peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1/2 Fresh Pineapple, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces

Procedure:
    BGE Set-up:
    1 Preheat BGE to 350°F.
    2 Indirect - Inverted Platesetter (legs up) with grill top
    3 Roasting Pan
    Directions:
    1 In large skillet over medium heat, bring balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to boil, stirring until the brown sugar dissolves.
    2 Reduce heat and simmer until vinegar thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
    3 Add butter and salt and stir until butter melts.
    4 Add beets, sweet potatoes and pineapple to skillet; toss to coat.
    5 Transfer all of mixture into roasting pan.
    6 Place roasting pan on BGE grill and roast for 45 minutes, stirring once or twice to “baste” the mix with the glaze.
    7 Raise BGE temp to 450°F, and roast an additional 15 minutes or until beets are “tender” (but not mushy).
    8 Transfer to large platter or bowl and serve.
    Tips & Variations:
    1 This recipe is great with any root vegetable (sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, etc.) or fall “squash” (acorn, pumpkin, butternut). The key is to make sure all of the “pieces” are cut to the same size to ensure a more even cooking time for the mixture. Bigger pieces will take longer to cook than smaller ones! (Mom taught me that one!)
    2 Root vegetables, especially beets are fairly dense and take a long time to cook! Therefore, if you’re in a hurry, you can parboil the vegetables (not the pineapple) in the microwave or on the stove-top (don’t’ forget to save the healthy “broth” for other uses!) prior to adding to the balsamic mixture…
    3 The following are variations that I’ve tried and have friends convinced that it’s a different recipe each time!
    A: Variation:
    1 Reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1 ½ tablespoons, and add 2 tablespoons of Captain Morgan’s Rum! The glaze will not get as thick in the skillet, but will glaze nicely in the roasting pan on the egg!
    B: Variation:
    1 Instead of pineapple, try adding a ½ tablespoon more of brown sugar and about 1 cup of fresh cranberries. The cranberries will “burst” and produce a nice sweet/tangy taste with the veggies! This is the way I do it when I do this recipe with only sweet potatoes…. The red and the orange colors are spectacular!
    C: Variation:
    1 Top off the dish for serving with some toasted pecans!
    D: Variation:
    1 To serve it in a salad, omit the butter from the glaze (it will congeal), and roast as usual. Let it cool and then serve over a bed of arugula, and sprinkle the top with gorgonzola, feta or any other salty cheese…. And don’t forget those toasted pecans!

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Egg of GirlyEgg (a.k.a. Lynn Joseph)

Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '07, GirlyEgg, 10/21/07

lighn the plank with lemon slices place the salmon on there skin side down put some rub on ragin river if you like them more lemons 350 direct don't soak the plank just pull the salmon off there then leave the plank in the egg but shut the egg down

HTH ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    Thanks! Your fast. No life tonight? Hehe, me too.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Terry, you beat me by 7 seconds so had to go to plan "B"

Beets, Balsamic Glazed

INGREDIENTS:
    3 lbs beets
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 Tbsp brown sugar - (packed)
    2 Tbsp butter
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 fresh pineapple chunks, canned or frozen may be used

Procedure:
    1 BGE Set-up: Indirect at 400 degrees
    2 Wrap beets in aluminum foil (2 or 3 to a foil pack). Do not peel or cut beets.
    3 Place in BGE for 1 hour or until a knife can be inserted into the beet. Consistency should be a firm "baked potato"
    4 Prepare Glaze: Bring balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to boil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until the brown sugar dissolves.
    5 Reduce heat and simmer until vinegar thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
    6 Add butter and salt and stir until butter melts and set aside
    7 Prepare Beets: Remove beets from Egg and unwrap. Allow to cool slightly for easier handling.
    8 Slip or Peel skins from beets and cut into 1 inch chunks
    9 Raise BGE temp to 450 degrees
    10 Combine roasted beets and pineapple chunks in a deep sided pan/skillet for finishing on the Egg.
    11 Pour glaze over beets, mix well.
    12 Place pan in the Egg and roast for an additional 15-20 minutes, stirring at least once. The glaze should start to carmelize on the beets. The longer the mixture is left in the oven, the more the beets will carmelize. Note that the beets, themselves, will also provide additional sugars for glazing.
    13 Remove pan from fire and transfer to serving dish.

Servings: 8
    Preparation time: 15 minutes
    Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
    Ready in: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Vegetables

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '08, Unknown
  • BENTE
    yea i never do just relaxinv with some bourbon but that is the reason i am not responding to iron balls i feel sorry for the guy but he will get over it and love his egg!!! i have replaced gaskets also but i am tired of tring to make people believe me :woohoo:

have a good evening ther in the rockies..... go dodgers :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    Yum, that looks good too. i happen to buy a pineapple this morning.
    Thanks, you guys are the bomb!. Rest well knowing you both have been appreciatied today!!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • BENTE
    you forgot to add the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tip 1:
    This recipe is great with any root vegetable (sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, etc.) or fall “squash” (acorn, pumpkin, butternut). The key is to make sure all of the “pieces” are cut to the same size to ensure a more even cooking time for the mixture. Bigger pieces will take longer to cook than smaller ones! (Mom taught me that one!)
    Tip 2:
    Root vegetables, especially beets are fairly dense and take a long time to cook! Therefore, if you're in a hurry, you can parboil the vegetables (not the pineapple) in the microwave or on the stove-top (don't’ forget to save the healthy “broth” for other uses!) prior to adding to the balsamic mixture…
    Variation 1:
    Reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1 ½ tablespoons, and add 2 tablespoons of Captain Morgan’s Rum! The glaze will not get as thick in the skillet, but will glaze nicely in the roasting pan on the egg!
    Variation 2:
    Instead of pineapple, try adding a ½ tablespoon more of brown sugar and about 1 cup of fresh cranberries. The cranberries will “burst” and produce a nice sweet/tangy taste with the veggies! This is the way I do it when I do this recipe with only sweet potatoes…. The red and the orange colors are spectacular!
    Variation 3:
    Top off the dish for serving with some toasted pecans!
    Variation 4:
    To serve it in a salad, omit the butter from the glaze (it will congeal), and roast as usual. Let it cool and then serve over a bed of arugula, and sprinkle the top with gorgonzola, feta or any other salty cheese…. And don't forget those toasted pecans!

maybe one of these days i will teach you how to post a recepie :evil: :P :ohmy:

man i am funny tonight ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• cookn biker
    Man you are cracking youself up tonight!! More bourbon man!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Richard Fl
    Give an old man a break, just got back from Ocala after shucking 150 oysters and am slow. The tips are for the one you posted, mine does not have that info. They are still partying in Ocala, but had some things that needed attention early am tomorrow.
  • cookn biker
    Gglad you had a great time! Get some rest then post your pics tomorrow.
    Sleep well
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • BENTE
    no it is the same one you posted but i don't have a source it came straight from the eggtoberfest 08 cookbook!! the one i posted was from eggtoberfest 07 the tenth anniversary edetion i got from whiz's site or from bill wise :unsure:

and how were the shooters? i have yet to see any pictures or hear anything... man i wish i was there :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    About to refill my scotch and get into the spa. I was so busy schucking for 4 hours that I left the camera in the car. Know others will post tomorrow.

PS. I like to boil beets and cut into bite size pieces and place in jar with sliced red onions, cider vinegar some seasoning and toss into frig. Also the red beet juice added with the vinegar seasonings is great with hard boiled eggs, sometimes I use quail eggs in the can from a chinese grocery, add spicy seasoning.
  • cookn biker
    Mmmm, very good. Thank you very much! Enjoy your soak. Jelous. Yard stuff today and pulled something in my back. Ibu's and bed for me.
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Thanks for the "beet-nod" friends! I just made some for myself the other day! Hope you enjoyed!
  • cookn biker
    I'll let you know, I'm cooking them up to day with salmon. Great looking recipe.
    Happy day
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Poodlemom
    Poodlemom Posts: 85
    GirlyEggs beets are my favorite thing from the last two Eggtoberfests!!! Don did a great job with them when we did them about a month ago.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    If you have a juicer, put about a half of a big beet (tennis ball size) in w/ about two apples and a quarter of a lemon. Sounds gross, but I use to make this mixture up at work and had everyone about to yak until they tasted it. By the way, use the skin and all of the lemon. Regulate the sweetness (beets are full of sugar) by adjusting the amount of lemon and apple.