Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks to Gator Bait

Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw this recipe for burger from Gator Bait a few days ago, and decided what was for dinner on Friday.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=609439&catid=1

I only used 4 lbs of beef, and one large onion, 8 oz of mushrooms, 12 oz of cheese, and roughly half of the spices.

MAN! What good burgers! I believe those were the best burgers I've ever had.

Thanks, Gator Bait.

A pic on the grill, and the leftoevers after the wife and kids were full.

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

Comments

• Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    Burgers look great! I bet the onions carmelized nicely on the outside of the burgers. Was it worth it putting the cheese inside of the burgers vs. on top? I may have to try that recipe.

=Yates
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    The recipe is a keeper. I think next time I'll try it with cheese on top, instead of inside, and with less onions. Both will help keep the burgers from falling apart.

I cooked mine a tad long, so the internal cheese cooked out somewhat. If you do the cheese inside, be sure not to overcook them.

I highly recommend the recipe - really great tasting burgers!

Richard
  • Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    I think I would definitely would go with some very sharp cheddar on top. It would go very well. If they fall apart after that maybe I would add an egg.
  • I liked those the first time I saw them. They are definitely on the to do list! :laugh:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Hi Bash,

LOL, I about fell out of my chair when I saw the title of your post. I'm delighted that you like them.

The top burger competitors say to handle your meat during preparation as little as possible and you get a better texture to your burgers. I didn't have a bowl large enough and had to mix mine in batches and then mix the batches together and the texture on mine were just a little tight from all the mixing and that may have helped hold mine together. Also lean hamburg does not hold together as well, I used 20% fat ground chuck (fat equals flavor) and that may have been a factor. I have family that raise their own Black Angus and only eat very lean hamburg and have heard that that is one of the draw backs to the lean stuff. That is the only thing I can think of. I have no idea why but the Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese I used was very resistant to melting. When I shaped the burgers I tried to cover any exposed cheese with hamburg so it wouldn't melt out of them but it just wasn't a problem. Even as leftovers heated in the microwave the cheese still doesn't melt well. It gets soft and has good flavor but I have seen very little of it melt.

The next time I make them I am thinking of roasting some garlic on the egg until it too is caramelized and add that to the mix. :cheer:

Those are great looking burgers, now your making me hungry.

Gator