Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crab Cake Recipe

Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love crab cakes, but have only made them once, and it was a while ago, and I don't remember the recipe.
Anyone have a good recipe whether or not they've tried it on the egg? I'm sure the egg would do a great job with them.[p]--Aron

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Aron,[p]I have not tried them on the Bge, but I think I will. Good suggestion. If you like a smokey taste I would try doing them like a steak using the dwell. I don't know how long they will need to cook but sear them well and then close it up and dwell until they are done. I might try my cast iron skillet.[p]Tim
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Aron:[p]From The Princess based on a recipe originally provided by AndyR:[p]1 pound. crab meat
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon Worchester sauce
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon seafood seasoning or Old Bay
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    1/4 cup bread crumbs[p]optional:[p]1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
    chopped cilantro per your taste[p]This is just a guide . . . If you know how to cook, modify to suit your tastes, just no blame if it turns out wrong. (smilie thingie)[p]Mix everything together except crab. Slowly add crab to the mix taking care not to break the crab meat into smaller pieces. The mix should be moist and stick together when formed into cakes. Fry for five minutes per side (or till golden brown) in a cast iron pan with 1/4" olive oil with butter added for flavor. Take care when flipping as they can come apart. Take care not to over cook as they will be too dry. Top with Old Bay and serve with sea food sauce or tartar sauce if you like.[p]I think this cook is best on the cook top in the kitchen. A short cook in a pan on a cooker really gives very little return and wastes time and charcoal. If your experience proves to be different, I certainly would like to be corrected.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    Sorry . . . Formatting did not carry over. If you have questions, ask.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9,
    i concur with this recipe, it is a very traditional baltimore/chesapeake bay recipe.. .this is a simple recipe and i think anything else probably robs from the delicate flavor of the crab meet. . .a couple of thing you might want to do on top of this are (and these are most definitely IMHO)[p]1. use All Lump crab meet as opposed to 'special' (the lump or backfin is the most flavorful and largest pieces of meat, also the most expensive, but i believe worth it for a good crab cake)[p]2. like he said, handle with care. . .you want to handle the crab meat as little as possible (you will want to sort through it and pull any cartilage out though, again much easier with lump/backfin, than with 'special'[p]3. i prefer, and again this is my preference, to have my crab cakes broiled rather than fried. . .i think broiling would lend itself well to the egg (i plan on doing this, just haven't gotten there yet). . .what i would do is use a fish grid, or if you have the square flat bottomed grill wok, use that (you could probably fit four nice crab cakes on that pretty easy). . .cook them direct, with a single turn (careful as they will be pretty loose). . .probably no more than about 5 minutes at around 400 degrees until golden. .. i would also consider drizzling a little butter and a squirt of lemon on them just before you make the turn. . .[p]they will be great. .. [p]

• djm5x9
    Mad Max:[p]I know what you mean about the different grades of crab meat. It means the difference between picking out chunks of shell and savoring chunks of succulent crab claw . . . Unless you know, you do not know . . . What a shame.[p]I am STILL waiting for local Atlanta stores that carry oysters to get them labeled correctly. [p]By the way, the "shift" key (helps you get capital letters) is usually the second key from the bottom on most computer keyboards . . . Unless like one of my boys you are trying to break new literary ground! (smilie thingie)
  • djm5x9,
    first, i know all about the caps thingy. .. been my modis operendi (spelling?) to type this way for a long time (saves an extra key stroke). . .if it drives you nuts, guess what, i do the same thing at work. . .our files are full of my emails all typed in lower case, and as a contracts weenie, my files are the official ones!! (and here is a little trivia for you, do you know where lower vs. upper case comes from?. . .in colonial times at printer shops, all of the type sets were kept in cases. . .the capital letters were kept in the 'upper' case and the small letters were kept in the 'lower'case. . .waallaa, upper and lower case letters [i learned this at williamsburg a few years back]). . .anyway, i digress (oh yea. . .smiley thingy back atya). .. [p]unfortunately, the chesapeake bay has become so depleted that even famous names like "phillips" sells crab meat from far off places like louisiana now. . .but at least around here it is easy to find things labeled properly. . .and i really think a crab cake deserves the best you can buy . . .as always, IMHO (hey look, i used upper case) ;-)

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    1-4-5.jpg?
    <p />Aron,
    I used the basic crab cake recipe (no fillers). I heated till dome was 350° and put the cast iron skillet, sans, handle on the grid with some veggie oil and let it heat up for few minutes. I then added some apple chips and the crab cakes. Closed lid and cooked for approx 5 minutes, flipped cakes and cooked another five. They were deelishus!!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    rumrunner,
    My stomach just growled 4 times straight. One growl after the next.
    Yowza
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    rumrunner,[p]Thanks--I've got a decent idea now of what to put in, but it was those times and temps I needed. I don't have a skillet, but I'll try in my grill wok. I figure that should work pretty well. NB's right--those do look fantastic.
    --Aron