Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oil / Napkin Pictorial

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to stike or ghost of stike for sending these pictures to me.

Looks like stike is using EVOO, either that or any cooking oil will work.

napkin1.jpg

napkin2.jpg

napkin3.jpg

napkin4.jpg

napkin5.jpg

napkin6.jpg

GG

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    So that is how you fold a napkin.. :lol::lol::lol:

just kidding GG...a lot of folks will find this technique very handy & inexpensive..
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    good post. As soon as I run out of BGE lighting squares I will definitely try.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Will post my loo paper method tonight..... :laugh:...doesn't fail
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i use(d) evoo simply because that's what's handy. cooking oil would work. been looking for another tall bottle to put next to the evoo so i don't always use the good stuff.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    I'm afraid to ask the obvious question... :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: yup, that's the trick.

I use the paper towel with 1/2 sheet perforation. One sheet on the left and one on the right. It gives me a longer length when lighting.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :woohoo: :woohoo:

Pre or post?

Sometime take a picture of the view from the window behind the fireplace.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Bed Bath & Beyond or a restaurant supply. I picked one up from walmart but the rubber stopper wouldn't stay in when inverting.

GG
  • stike
    Options
    the restaurant supply place near me doesn't have them, and the bed/bath/beyond places around here seem to close up shop all the time.

frikkin kitchen stores all going out of business. "kitchens etc.", "linens and things". i like shopping on the web too, but sometimes i like to just pull in and buy something too.

you kids and yer damn internet are ruining it for the rest of us!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Thanks GG & Stike, look like I'm doing it properly. I'm using vegtable oil & paper towel.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    one of those hand soap dispensers would probably work just as well or one of those nivea skin balm bottles with the pump.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beli
    Options
    No mi amigo..........not used... :woohoo:...but you are giving me new ideas..... :pinch:
  • Beli
    Options
    Kent.....don't forget i am into recylcling... :evil: :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh, that's even worse!!!

GG
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The only thing that doesn't work is Canola oil. regular cheapo house-brand cooking oil works fine.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    might even work better. Wonder about putting a light cooking oil in a spritz/spray bottle. Twist the paper first then spray.

GG
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Pam works too if you're looking for a way to spray it. I've been tempted to go buy a hunk of parafin wax and mix it with shredded paper from my shredder. Not too sure about the laser toner though.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Thanks for posting that! And to Flashback Bob for mentioning problems with canola oil. I'd tried making my own paper towel/oil starter once, but I folded the paper up into a little square and used canola. Darned things wouldn't stay lit.

Now I know! I'll try it tomorrow for our chicken.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    while we're on the subject I only use veggie oil once in a FryBaby and then discard it since I use the FryBaby only a couple times a year and I believe the oil would get rancid. Anything wrong using "used" oil to light the fires with rather than pitching it?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    Options
    you can put a lid on that oil and save it. it shouldn't go rancid. in fact, the frybaby instructions will tell you to do it. it's not animal fat, which is much more likely to go rancid. FWIW.

your corn oil doesn't go rancid sitting in the pantry. and the shortening is merely hydrogenated veggie oil.

if you use staright oil, well, it's fine as is. maybe filter out the bits, but it shouldn't go rancid in 6 month's time, frankly. even a year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    and I use the oil and paper towels for every cook
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks Jeff.

I just assumed that whatever meat I cooked would lead to contamination of the oil. I'm deep frying breaded shrimp Friday sooooo - save the oil I will!

PS I know frying isn't healthy but I love shrimp that way!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Not a bad idea either. I don't think I have used the fry daddy in 6 or 7 years just because of the concern of storing the oil.

I put the oil in spouted honey bottle and use it to drizzle on the paper towel. I twist the towel lay it in the lump then drizzle the oil on the top of the towel, partially cover with some lump.

GG
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    What do you all think about using the leftover chilled pork fat from a Boston Butt? I've got some in the fridge. Would it stink everything up or would it smell like bacon?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • stike
    Options
    well, he said, back tracking...

maybe meat (especially fish!) will flavor the oil.

but my frying of potatoes is probably less likely to funk up the oil than beef would.
    maybe frying meat would add the animal fat back into the mix and you actually would go rancid.

i only did fries and potato chips. this, of course, made me a God to my boys. "dad made FRENCH FRIES?!?!?!?!"

maybe after all you were right to throw it out. seems a waste though.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I am not sure.

Cooking oil is pretty inexpensive so I have stayed with that.

GG