Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal basket / bowl

Options
James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, thanks to Spaceman Spiff and Clay Q.
Previous thread
I searched out a 12" SS mixing bowl to fit my Med. and planned to drill holes in it for a lazy charcoal basket / shaker.
I asked some advice from a chap at work who told me drilling SS was a PITA, but offered to do it on the milling machine for me - so I gave hime the CI charcoal grate as a guide to how big / how many holes.
Got it home on Friday and put some holes in the sides for the bolt handles to lift it out with (neat idea ClayQ). Boy was thard harder work than I expected!
Anyway here it is (I hope)
DSC_0954.jpg
I tried a spatcock bird on it and it went well but then the temp dropped and wouldn't come up - the fire was very central and not near the sides, I think I need more holes around the sides - next step the angle grinder.
DSC_0959.jpg

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    James,

I was going to ask if you had some side holes. I am wondering if they should be concentrated around the holes in the fire box.

There looks to be plenty of holes in the bottom.

Are you getting into warmer weather over there yet. Still some snow out here.

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I tried something similiar a few years ago and after 4-5 cooks, threw the bowl away as I became convinced that the bold greatly restricted the air flow. Hope yours works better.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    You're getting there. Keep trying.
  • James MB
    Options
    GG - No, no holes on the sides but only because I couldn't figure out how to make any. On the prev thread I saw slots made with an angle grinder and I'll probably go for that, I'll probably have to ask a few favours from my work colleague too.
    Kids liked the bird but I managed to secure some leftovers.

I think the answer is just to have plenty of holes, if I have to end up aligning the bowl with the firebowl I'm onto a losing wicket.

Weather nice and spring like, daffodills out but then we have a mild maritime climate being a small island.

PS - not only was it hard to drill the bowl it was hard to photograph it without me in the shot.
  • let us know how the bowl holds up. not sure stainless is any better in this case than anything else, but it sure is a common and cheap bowl to find and replace if you need to. i actually prefer your slot idea to the holes. my grate gets filled too easily with smaller bits of charcoal, and i think your angle grinder (are you angle grinder man, by the way?) is a better idea. never paid attention to the thickness of the steel in these bowls from store to store. i wonder if they are heavier or lighter depending where you get them? a restaurant supply shop nearby has stacks of them in all sizes. might check there. my iron grate is cracked and bent.

by the way. an interesting point for discussion. i'm not trying to start anything with the "fume police" here on the forum, but here's a thought for them.

stainless steel gives of far more dangerous fumes than galvanized metal (when both are at temps where they actually give off fumes, which can't happen in an egg, but stick with me). specifically, the very real concern from stainless steel (which contains nickel, chromium, etc.) is lung cancer. with galvanized steel fumes, you FEEL sick, but it goes away, and causes no long term harm. fifteen minutes a day exposure to galvy fumes is considered "fine". with stainless steel, you need to monitor actual atmospheric content (well, they say you should, who does?). i know fishless has experience welding both. i wonder what the real practice is on the ground in the trenches.

anyway, my point (which took far too long to arrive at) is once again that there aren't any fumes coming from the egg despite what metal you use, including galvanized steel. carbon monoxide is another thing, but it never gets a mention.

let us know if that basket holds up over time. even if it falls apart, it would be cheap enough to replace every so often.
  • James MB
    Options
    I wish I was sensible enough to have
    1. Thought of the SS mixing bowl idea (I was more in the welded basket camp which would be hard to fabricate, unless you're tjv)
    2. Thought of the angle grinder attack for slots.
    Credit to Clay Q / Spaceman Spiff on both counts

Alas I realise I'm not as practical/problem solving/pragmatic as my CV would have you believe but then that's what the forum is for.

I'll see how well it holds up, replacement bowl seems easy enough to source, perhaps I'll become an angle grinder guy - until then I know a man who is.

Interesting point about fumes for those that like the thought experiment approach, oh and nice to see the odd ghost of Stike post even without the image of whatsername.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I can imagine the dealing with the reflections.

We will have one or two more snow storms then some spring weather.

Your description about central burning and the lower temperature leads me to think the side holes are necessary.

There could have been some lump settling and clogging the air flow through the bottom of the of the bowl.

Kent
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    "angle grinder Man" is a guy that dons a costume and runs around London (i think it's london) and cuts the metal boot/clamp off the front wheel of cars that have been "booted" for improper parking or nonpayment of violations.

i was hoping you were him. would be cool to have a superhero on the forum

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante