Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck on the Egg?

Options
EasternEgger
EasternEgger Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A while back I saw a recipe for Duck on the BGE.
I believe it was a "Spatchcocked" method and seamed simple.
I have NEVER tried to cook duck. Everyone has told me it will either burst into flames , due to the greasy nature of duck, or be very oily.
I don't believe it... any recipes?? [p][p]

K. Magill
Eastern Egger
Since 2000

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    EasternEgger,
    Scroll down to Naked Whiz's "Rogue's Gallery" post and check djm5x9's photo to see how duck can look! He's da man when it comes to duck. Be prepared to salivate.[p]Ken

• EasternEgger
    Options
    BlueSmoke,You'r Right. They look great!
    From what I see they were just Spatchcocked and set on a raised grill.
    From the picture they look like they weren't flipped during cooking.
    Any info. how long and what temp ?[p]

K. Magill
    Eastern Egger
    Since 2000
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    EasternEgger,
    Don't have a clue. I do know they look spatchcocked, and abSOlutely delicious.[p]Hopin' djm5x9 checks in soon.[p]Ken

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Ken:[p]Thanks for the kind words . . .
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    Options
    duck3.jpg
    <p />EasternEgger:[p]Hmmmmm! Spatchcocked is a rather queer word . . . I just butterfly mine![p]Cut the backbone out of your birds, dust with your favorite rub, and let them lay on the grill cavity side down in a pre-heated cooker. Via whatever set-up allows - elevated racks, etc. - get those birds in the upper dome area to capitalize on the convection activity. This should be a direct cook so do not incorporate plate setters, drip pans or the like in your set-up.[p]Pecan or fruit wood goes well with duck if you care for a little smoke, just a couple of chunks will do it. Pre-heat the cooker to 200º dome and let the birds (you have to do at least two!) cook for four to five hours with out turning. If you feel more comfortable cooking at a higher dome, keep it as low as possible. The goal is to render as much fat as possible. As the cook nears completion, raise the dome temperature to crispin the skin.[p]For something a little different, take the prepared birds and marinate them in a weak (diluted with water) teriyaki solution for a couple of hours in the refrigerator and cook the same way.[p]The key to success with this cook is not to over cook and dry the birds out. Likewise, if you under cook them it will be tough and pull dentures out. Think “low and slow” pork butt and you will do just fine.[p]A little advise . . . In the future, don’t ask white folks about duck . . . They don’t know nuth’in ‘bout no stink’in duck!
  • EasternEgger
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Actually, I don't even know what a "Spatchcocked" is.
    Just saw it used in the chicken recipes. I really appreciate the information.
    I'm going to stick those birds into the marinate and do the "low and slow".
    Cooked plenty of Pulled Pork so low and slow doesn't bother me.[p]Thanks again...[p]EasternEgger

K. Magill
    Eastern Egger
    Since 2000
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Do you pierce the skin at all to let the oil out? Those birds look just DUCKY!

• djm5x9
    Options
    MAC:[p]NO! A nice long "low and slow" will render much of the fat if you do it right.
    [/b]
  • djm5x9
    Options
    EasternEgger:[p]You are most welcome . . .
    [/b]