Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex Gasketttt Install Success

Options
Seidegger
Seidegger Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently got my new nomex gasket, bought some 3M77, egg was only 2 months old and old gasket melted right off during pizza cook so very little cleaning necessary. I didn't even take the top off and just installed the gasket using a brush on the egg and spray on the back of the gaskett...easy job...

It really took me 30 minutes and I can't even change a lightbulb...

Just figured maybe this story would help the gaskettt blues we frequently see on the board...

Comments

• Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    What was your process for spraying the back of thte gasket, and did you make a mess?
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I also sprayed the back of the gasket as well as the egg. It sets' up much faster that way.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I installed new nomex gaskets on my large last weekend. So far so good. It works good spraying both surfaces. If you say you didn't get it on your fingers your fibbing.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Panhandle Smoker wrote:
    I installed new nomex gaskets on my large last weekend. So far so good. It works good spraying both surfaces. If you say you didn't get it on your fingers your fibbing.

Man I wish I only got it on my fingers. :P
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bluecrab3
    Bluecrab3 Posts: 328
    Options
    Did you spray a portion of the nomex before placing or spray the whole gasket first?
  • Chris in Gwinnett
    Options
    Hi All- Also had no problem installing my Nomex gasket after I figured out how to take the dome off. I used the high temp silicon. Squirted it on like toothpaste. Actual gasket adhesive probably took about 10 minutes, max. No problems yet, knock on wood.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I sprayed the entire gasket. When spraying both surfaces I recommend getting someone to hold the excess gasket while you apply. It wont be as messy. I decided to spray both surfaces because of so many post regarding glue failure. The 3M 77 spray recommends spraying both surfaces for a extra strong bond. While the high temp silicone may be a good alternative, I don't know how much fun it will be on the next gasket change. The 77 loosens pretty good with acetone and a razor scraper. Hope this helps
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Seidegger
    Seidegger Posts: 73
    Options
    Hey guys, I sprayed the back of nomex after laying it on the cement in my back yard ontop of some paper i was going to throw out. Also, I used a small paint brush after spraying some in a plastic cup for clean application onto the egg. The back of the egg was slightly challenging, but it really wasn't so bad, so no need to remove the top portion of the egg.