Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yesterday and today mishaps = butt in the making

Options
PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I woke up today a bit hungover and freezing cold... outside was 50°F brrrrrrrr :huh:

I had dinner at my brother's. He lives really far (like 30 minutes away aaaaall the way the other side of town), and we cooked some chicken wings and babyback ribs (no photos)... anyways I planned to come home around 11pm to set up the grill for two pork butts for tonight... of course the wine was very good and I got home near 1 am... the wife wasn't very pleased... actually she was really pissed off :pinch: ... Anyways, I couldn't help it but had to setup the grill then and there, and so I did... she didn't like that either but hey! I had to cook those butts for tonight... haha :whistle:
So in my intoxicated state I proceeded (of course I didn't take any photos) to inject (very dangerous "sharp objects" I shouldn't have been messing around with) and then apply a rub which I had left from last butt... Of course I made the huge mistake back then or storing it (without any appropriate tag) in a solid plastic bottle (you can't see through) exactly the same as the bottle in which I had stored about 2 cups powdered habanero chile... I guess you can guess what happened, but I'm going to tell you anyways.... I decided to experiment so I pulled out my dizzy dust and thinking the habanero was the other rub, mixed them together (the whole bottle, and this is why you shouldn't cook drunk) and then proceeded to use that to cover the butts... I didn't realize what was happening even though the "rub" was extremely orange until an uncontrollable sneezing attack came over me... So, you can imagine... I wasn't about ready to throw out a whole bottle of dizzy dust of course (even after it was mixed, inseparable, with almost 2 cups of habanero powder) so I decided that the best was to mix the whole thing with the original rub I intended on using and that by now I had clearly identified and thank God the sneezing had almost gone away... :blink: After that (almost 3:30 am and about six beers later) the egg was stabilized at 250°F and the butts were about ready to go in (again, no photos still) and myself to go to bed... (I had to wake up in 2.5 hours)

In a nutshell: I ended up rubbing the butts with a mix of rubs and habanero powder I am sure under no ordinary circumstances will I be able to reproduce... and BY GOD DID IT SMELL GRRRRRREAT THIS MORNING and this is how it looked:

P3123839.jpg

P3123840.jpg

One was 135 internal and the other one 110... I need to pull them anytime between 4pm and 9pm while I cook the paella to accompany them, so I guess I'm all set...

cheers!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    That XL sure makes those butts look little. What are you celebrating tonight? -RP
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Words to live by:

this is why you shouldn't cook drunk :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

it does look good though and I bet it will taste great....

now get your wife some flowers.. :P
  • Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    Options
    Looks awesome. I'm glad things turned out well. :cheer:
  • PWise
    Options
    It's a friends birthday party and he asked me to cater... My gift to him... Let's see how it all turns out! Hope to be able to post photos tomorrow...

cheers!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You better get a nap today or you may be in worse shape tonight making the paella. -RP
  • PWise
    Options
    hahaha I know... I will try to never cook drunk again hahahaha :whistle: (even I didn't beleive myself)

about the flowers... naaaa I think she would use them to do something horrible to me... especially if they have thorns... hahaha

cheers!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Pato.......Seems like your Odyssey is paying off.....great looking butts......... wouldn´t bet on the stock exchange this morning though... :woohoo:
  • PWise
    Options
    hahaha thanks friend, but things haven't turned out still hehe :whistle:

Let's hope 1: the wife talks to me again, 2: the butts aren't SO hot... hahaa

cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    too late :whistle: hahahaha :woohoo: we're up 131 pts and about 2% in USDMXN exchange rate... :silly:

cheers!
  • Dr. Eggstein
    Options
    Pato,
    Maybe you can help me with a question. My timeline is similar to yours, I figure.
    I will be smoking pork butts for my baby girl's first birthday this Saturday. I have 3 weighing in at 6 pounds each, so I figure about a 12-14 h cook. If I smoke them the day before, as you have, I don't know when to stop the first cook and how to reheat for Saturday. Do I cook them fully to ~195F and do all the normal post-cook wrap for a couple hours then refrigerate? Would I return to the Egg, and for how long to reheat? What about reheating liquid?

Thanks,
    -Chris
  • PWise
    Options
    no naps... we can nap all we want when we're six feet under... :woohoo:

I have to go shopping for tonight's paella, tomorrow's paella (catering function), saturday's dinner (tests for the restaurant menu):

salmon carpaccio
    paella with grilled shrimp
    maple-glazed-cedar-smoked-salmon
    Tenderloin and bone-marrow "chicharron" tacos
    Grilled coffee infused babyback ribs
    Ribeye with aspafries and ABTs
    Citric fruit granita

let's see how it all turns out! :whistle:

cheers!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    :laugh:
    "hahaha I know... I will try to never cook drunk again hahahaha :whistle:"

If you only knew how many times I have said that. :( :( :silly: :laugh:

I do hope they are too hot but think you will be fine.

Good Luck with them the Wife. :unsure:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Cook to 195, wrap, rest, pull, refrigerate, reheat

Reheat in foil tray topped with foil, add a can of coke if you want to add moisture.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Funny story! Glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself! Bring a fire extinguisher along to the party! 8 - )... Hope it goes well!
  • PWise
    Options
    Hello there:

I've read here that many people reheat/rehydrate with coca-cola. Personally I've never tried this...
    What I personally do if I need to keep it for later, is cook to 195°F and pull, wrap in foil and refrigerate promptly. Before serving I reheat low and slow in the egg up to 165°F...

hope this helps!
    cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    hahaha I know... it's not my first time either hehehe

cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    HAHAHAHA :woohoo:

I sure hope there's no need for a fire extinguisher

cheers!
  • Pato! I think I should not be reading this! Hahaha!! :laugh:

I can bet those porks are gonna be delicious! I'll tell you later! I'm looking forward for those porks and the Paella!! :woohoo:

- Marco
  • Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    Options
    I'm sure she will talk to you again. Probably not the first time something like this has happened :laugh: I would try to balance the hot with some sweet, maybe coca cola, maybe a sweet sauce.
  • PWise
    Options
    hahahahah oops!! :P

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND!!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    PWise, Great storytelling! Your hands didn't burn? Enjoy!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • PWise
    Options
    Hey Molly! thanks, hope you enjoyed it... and no, all appendages still attached and in good health hehe, I did prick myself with the syringe though, but hey! that happens to the best of us hahaha

cheers!