Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Gasket Failure

Options
DrZaius
DrZaius Posts: 1,481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to throw together a couple of spatty chickens and all hell broke loose.. :evil:

It was not that bad, I was able to finish the cook.

Prepping the birdz
DSC04139.jpg

DSC04141.jpg

EVOO and assorted spices
DSC04142.jpg

Up to pre-temp
DSC04147.jpg

and then GASKET WHAMMY!!!!!
DSC04151.jpg

DSC04153.jpg

I trimmed the hanging gasket and the cook continued. I thought I could get away for a while of just replacing the bottom. Oh well, I guess I need to do the lid now.

The cook continued.
Chicken in place!
DSC04154.jpg

Temp Check
DSC04157.jpg

El Finito
DSC04158.jpg

DSC04159.jpg

:P :P :P :P
This is the greatest signature EVAR!

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    The chicken looks great and welcome to the gasket club. The good news is that the nomex gaskets are worth the effort.

Gator
  • DrZaius
    Options
    I did the bottom a couple of weeks ago and the lid gasket was tight and looked good. 2 cooks later and wham it is falling off.
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Options
    Why did u get the egg up to 600 before starting? I always do my spatchcocks at around 375-400 indirect. From the looks of the chicken you actually cooked at much less than 600 so why heat it up and then have to wait for it to drop?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Your gasket is fine. Adhesive failure (known issue the past year). Simply get some 3M 77 and just reglue.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Well, I'm still new, but I did my first chix over the weekend. I put 3 on. That much cold chicken dropped my temp to around 275. Took a long time to come back up.

Never seen a pre-cook temp before, but when I saw that...that's the thought that entered my mind.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    DHall wrote:
    Why did u get the egg up to 600 before starting? I always do my spatchcocks at around 375-400 indirect. From the looks of the chicken you actually cooked at much less than 600 so why heat it up and then have to wait for it to drop?

Most of the time it just gets there or higher because I am inside prepping while the grill is lit. Tonight I was able to get to it at 600 the other night I hit 750. It just depends on how many things I have going on. Getting the temp down is pretty easy.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Yep, it happens. The 3M 77 worked well for me (so far).

CIMG2875.jpg

I cook my spatchcok chicken at 400 degrees. Yours looks good, seems like you either need prep help in the kitchen or someone to watch the temp on the egg. I have tried to be in both places at the same time, but it just never happens.

Good Luck.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I agree, to be accurate the adhesive failed. As DrZaius well knows from his past posts & responses to previous posts, he is well aware BGE is correcting these problems.

DrZaius, call BGE, get a new Nomex and as Phil says use 3M 77.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    A couple of thoughts/questions.

What is that lump on the lower gasket at 10 o'clock, is that an overlap? If so it should be taken out.

As PhilsGrill stated this is an adhesive failure.

In an above comment you said you light then go inside to prep and just leave the egg. Sounds like a risky practice to me.

As I said, just some thoughts. GG
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    I agree, to be accurate the adhesive failed. As DrZaius well knows from his past posts & responses to previous posts, he is well aware BGE is correcting these problems.

DrZaius, call BGE, get a new Nomex and as Phil says use 3M 77.

GG

I already did. I have already changed the bottom I just did not do the lid because it looked good.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Dude - you can't put raw chicken on your "veggies" cutting board.

Personally, I'd go without a top gasket. I've seen me do it and it works fine.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    Dude - you can't put raw chicken on your "veggies" cutting board.

:lol: My wife labeled them years ago and for about 1 week I used them as labeled. Since then there has been no order.

Check back tomorrow as I use the Chick mat for RED MEAT! :whistle: