Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef

Options
GrillDaddy
GrillDaddy Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone make Corned Beef for St Patrick's Day? Was thinking about being adventurist but not sure? Any hints and/or recipes would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    It turns out FANTASTIC - with a few alterations....

I buy the prepackaged corned beef point if I can find it (it is best for egging) - If not I get the flat (still works).

What we are really doing is making a Pastrami by smoking a corned beef.

The day before the cook, take it out of the package and rinse it well with water. Then submerge it in water in the fridge over night (if you do not do this, it is far too salty when cooked on the egg)

Load the egg up, bring it up to 250 and treat it like a beef brisket (bring it up to 170 - 175) then pull it off. Do not cartry it all the way to 190 it will dry out. I think it takes less time over all than brisket - it was like 1 1/2 hours per pound.
    In Maryland
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Just did one. Here's the recipe and more pics: Corned Beef & Cabbage

486928112_3TSCR-S.jpg

It was very tasty. I like to cure my own and use a combination of smoking and braising.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Boy, do we ever...corned beef and pastrami are wonderful for St Patrick's day. (don't forget smoked salmon either). Here is an article I wrote for The Cooks Kitchen that is really just a summary of corned beef and pastrami tips. Next is a how-to for making your own corned beef for pastrami. (I hope you like garlic, Heheee.). After you look at those I have a pastrami method using store-bought corned brisket flats on my site, the link is at the bottom of this post. There is also a dry cure for salmon there.

http://thecookskitchen.net/2009/03/10/a-few-corned-beef-pastrami-tips/

http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Corned%20and%20Pastramied%20Beef
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Thanks Thirdeye. I've GOT to try OldDave's recipe sometime. Anything with that much garlic has to be good.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all this great info! :)