Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

considering purchase

baconsaver
baconsaver Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
:ermm: We live in a zero-lot line home in the middle of Seattle. If I knock some food off the grille, a happy passerby will catch it.

My concern is an overhead trellis. Will the medium-sized egg produce too much heat if the trellis is about 8 feet overhead? I will be cooking on a balcony right off the kitchen, so would be otherwise ideal.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    No problem, just watch for the neighbor with a long spatula :blink: :S
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    No worries mate, just be careful of the neighbors.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • So overhead temp should not be a problem? Neighbors are pretty far away.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Mine is on my porch approx 9' ceiling, never had a problem. If they are right above you they may experience some smoke when you first put wood chunks in but other than that should be ok.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    how dense is the trellis? I mean 50-50 holes and wood or more wood than holes. Also are there any vines growing on it that might be dead in the winter and catch fire? Be sure to learn about flashback and practice so you never have a huge ball of flames and super heated air surprise you. Are there any fire code restrictions you need to ask about? If nothing else invest in a good fire extinguisher and keep it handy. Just sign me cautious!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • High temp cooks might be an issue. You won't burn the plants / structure, but you will not do them any good either. I think if you do the normal cooks of 300 to 400 and a few in the 600 range the plants will make it just fine. If you are worried about the structure, I can not see that as an issue.

My egg is underneth by eve and I have not had any problems.

Now the neighboors, can't help you with those :evil:

ross
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    I have wood joists 34" above the top of my Eggs. NO PROBLEM.

Mike
  • Great reminder about the fire extinguisher, of course. It is my own house that would burn. The trellis is bare right now. Maybe we could keep any vines from growing in that area. Much less dense than a porch.

Thanks for the advice.
  • This sounds encouraging. Remember, this is Seattle, where it's only really dry in August. Sometimes.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You should start with a mini then try a small. Assuming that works, it would be time to get a medium and so on. I am working in the other direction. :lol:
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Baconsaver,
    Where in Seattle are you? I'm in Bellevue.

The only concern, and I'm not trying to talk you out of the egg, is how your neighbors will react to smoke.

I'm sure the zero lot line home has made it's way around the country...it's taken over here in Seattle and the surrounding areas. We just don't have big yards anymore.

I'm in a townhome and my neighbors are 30 feet away. Thankfully, no one has complained.

Mike
  • NWester
    NWester Posts: 22
    Sounds like it will work with your setup just take it easy with the temps during the 5 dry weeks per year. Best to be cautious in Seattle, the neighbors my not take kindly to the smoke, remember they tried to ban beach fires. I'm on the other side of the lake, I wonder if mukl can smell my TriTip cooking as I write this.
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    I can't smell anything through the snow/hail/rain/hail/snow/rain/sun/thunder/lightining

Possibly the most unique variety weather I've ever seen here in the same hour.
  • I too am in a townhouse and my large is sitting in a table on a cement lanai with a wood ceiling that is 10 feet tall. My mini is on a wood balcony just outside my sliders, right next to a wall with a ceiling of 10 feet (stucco). Haven't had an issue with either.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Boomer
    Boomer Posts: 115
    We will be living in a Condo very soon for a few years and I hope the Neighbors don't complain about the smoke, I love excessive smoke, I have 3 santa maria pits but have chosen not to take them with us on the move and elected to purchase the BGE instead based on the videos and feedback I havebeen reading everywhere.

I hope its the right choice...

Boomer...