Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mussel practice

Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be making these in Ocala. I went to the wine store yesterday morning for some help with the wine selection & there just happened to be a tasting. Nothing like some wine on Sat. morning! :laugh: I have a turkey breast( applewood )smoking on the small. No pics uncooked poultry is not pretty :blink:

DSCN3151.jpg

DSCN3157.jpg

Yes, Steven they are from Canada! the best

DSCN3152.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Susan,

They look good!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    mussels on the egg are always a big hit at my place!!
    102_1170.jpg
    102_1172.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Susan...Please make sure I know when your serving in Ocala!! :woohoo: Those look great! :)
    Looking forward to meeting you!
    Michelle
  • Meat
    Meat Posts: 233
    I always steam mussels. What's the process on the Egg. Looks like indirect, indabasket, then indabelly. What temp and for how long. Thanks, FG.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    I can almost taste them from here :cheer:
  • Susan Egglaine
    FamilyGuy wrote:
    I always steam mussels. What's the process on the Egg. Looks like indirect, indabasket, then indabelly. What temp and for how long. Thanks, FG.
    I do them in a wok (no holes) direct, sitting on the coals, just until they open
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Mussels, mussels, moules, everywhere. Just finished watching the Bobby Flay moules and frites throwdown. I'm going to have to try the bacon, shallot, blue cheese, white wine broth they made.

Is that the Zolo Torrontes? Great wine, for the price. Torrontes is a grape that could take off.

Susan, where in the world are you again?

Mike
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    is it my computor or is the guy in the white shirt allergic to shellfish???? ;)

i guess i am being mean now...sorry :(

hope all is well with you in "The Great White North" :)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I love mussels but usualy steam them. I tried them on the Egg once and was disappointed
    mussels.jpg
    I figured I'd never do them again. They were relatively dried out and lacked the rich flavor I get from a quick steam (3 minutes-Done!)

But yours look GOOD! Howd yoo do it?

You did them in the wok- was it high heat like you do for stir fry? What else did you have in the wok (wine)?

Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Susan Egglaine
    I am in southwest Va.
    olive oil, garlic,green onions,parsley,thyme,wine, butter
    not real high heat but they were sitting directly on the coals