Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

salmon internal temp question

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am smoking salmon and was wondering if there is an internal temperature to be done at. Is it 135 degrees?

Okeejohn

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Cook til it flakes. White, non transleucent. Not sure of temps. that is the way I have done it in the past and it works out fine.

Good luck
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    Okeejohn, I always cook salmon filets with the skin on. I put it on the cast iron grill, skin side down, and use a plate setter. 325° for only about 20-25 minutes, depending on how thick it is. To me, the worst fish is overcooked salmon. I wait 'til I see the creamy stuff form on top (fat) and that tells me it's done. For my tastes, if it's flaky, it's too dry and over-done. I then take a large, flat spatula, and carefully separate the meat from the skin, flip the meat for about a minute or two, then serve it and discard the skin. I have a Thermapen and use it all the time, but for salmon I've never checked it. I will next time.

Good luck
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    Salmon, one of our favorite food on the Egg. My wife and I like it med-rare. I consider 150 well done, we pull our salmon at about 120-125.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    John...I concur with Doug. Especially with salmon, it is very common to cook it med rare to medium. It leaves the inside pink and warm (but not raw). I would pull at 120-3, carryover will bring it to about 127-8. (try it this way once, please?) ;) Then, if for some reason you choose to cook it all the way through in the future, pull at 135. Carryover will bring it to 140, well for fish, but it will still be moist.
    Happy fishin!!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    One of my favorite meals on the egg is smoked salmon. Just had it the other night and going to cook some more tonight as a matter of fact. Favorite rubs include Old Bay, Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy, McCormick Salmon Rub, and a few others. I always cook it direct, skin side down, 220-250F grate temp for about 30-45 minutes. Alwyas use WGC lump and vary the wood chips with alder being most common and hickory or apple next best.

I have eaten salmon when it is rare, medium, and well done. I do not like it well done as it becomes dried out, chewy, and a bit leathery like jerky. I also refuse to eat it raw or with any pink or red juices running in it. The perfect indicator for me is when the white frothy fat juices pool on top of the fillet - I usually pull it within 5 minutes of this point. I absolutely love when it flakes apart but is still a bit moist.

Only thing I don't like: when pulling the meat away from the skin, the bottom of the fillet has a silvery gray gooey fat-like substance clinging to it which looks a lot like the scales on the outside of the skin. I detest eating this portion so I try to cook the salmon just long enough that the pink meat separates cleanly from the silvery fat layer, otherwise I have to scrape it off with my fork.

And a complete deal killer for me is finding a bone of any kind, even if just the thin white bones. When I find even one of those then I just can't eat the rest of the fillet at all. Had a bad experience as a kid with eating bony fish that got stuck in my throat and nearly killed me - no more taking chances for me. This is a pet peave of mine since so many other supposedly boneless fish does in fact contain the small white bones. Salmon fillets from Walmart have been pretty good in this area which is another reason why I eat salmon more often.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Michelle,

I have received a large, skin-on frozen piece of sashimi-grade salmon from a friend (was intended for sushi/sashimi, but he had some left over). With such a high quality piece of fish, I hate to just cook it like I would supermarket grade salmon. (We are also sushi eaters).

Do you have a good suggestion as to what we can do with this great gift?

I can cut it frozen into more than one piece for several meals (just 2 of us), or invite some friends for a feast.

Does salmon do as well as tuna with a sear - like seared ahi tuna or tataki tuna?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I also love sushi..especially tuna. Personally I don't think that salmon can be cooked any better than on the egg. It's ok as sushi, but salmon is one fish which must be frozen before used for sushi, (bugs) and I just can't stop thinking about that whenever I eat it. No different from any other concern with sushi, I guess. Just me.

Try marinating your salmon in a well combined [1/3 sugar (brown), 1/3 bourbon and 1/3 terriyaki] sauce for about an hour before you throw it on the egg. It adds a nice flavor to grilled salmon.

Good luck
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Thanks. Love all sushi !