Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue flame from bottom vent

Options
sonofamike
sonofamike Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First- timer here!!

Just picked it up today!

Some other Egghead friends recommended doing an initial burn, without food to prime the EGG.

After starting the coals and as soon as I closed the lid after 6-7 minutes, I experienced a popping blue flame from the bottom vent. It ran out about 6 inches, popped about four times then went away. Luckily I wasn't standing near the vent. :huh:

I'm not skilled in thermodynamics, but I know it was backdrafting and was wondering if this normal or if I did something wrong.

Cant wait to get some meat on this thing, I've got ribs in the fridge for tomorrow.

MT3

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    No need to prime it. It is good to go. Everyone cooks on brand spanking new eggs at eggfests all the time. Just watch your temps on the first few cooks, you may experience gasket problems if you take the heat over 450 - 500 for the first few cooks. You should be fine with the rib cook though (low and slow, right?).
    Good luck!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • sonofamike
    Options
    Low and slow!!

I'm still having probs keeping the temp low. But it's a learning curve I'll get the hang of.

I'm amazed at how hot you can get this thing-caution advised :woohoo:
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    There is a learning curve. Once you start playing with it you will figure it out. Try to not overshoot your target temp. It takes longer to come back down. After adjustments wait 10 or 15 mins before another adjustment or you bill be chasseing temps all night. I have done a few low and slow cooks and have found my ideal settings to achieve a 225-230 degree temp is the bottom vent cracked 1/8 to 1/4 inch and the daisy wheel at 1/4-1/2. It depends on a lot of things Charcoal type condition, altitude, wind etc... But that works for me. I will fwd you and e-mail that someone sent me that was a lot of help. A link that may help.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/tempcontrol.htm
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Once I had the thermometer go around twice!!! Yikes, that was scary. I learned not to go in the house while the egg is getting to temp!

Welcome to egghead freakness.

Faith
    Egger for 13 years
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini