Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slicing a Brisket

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My 7lb brisket went on this morning at 7am and came off at 2pm. It's been wrapped in foil for about an hour now. I've only cooked two of these in my life and neither was much to write home about. When slicing a brisket, how thick do you make the slices? Do you slice across the grain?[p]Thanks!
QBabe
:~)

Comments

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 56
    QBabe,
    That is a very short time to smoke a brisket. Usually I count on 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound cooked at between 200-225, with a final internal temperature of 195-205. Shorter time periods and higher cooking temps can produce decent meals, but not the melt in your mouth low n slow brisket ideal. [p]What temp did you cook the brisket at, and what was the internal temp when you pulled it off and wrapped it up? [p]Brett

• MrCoffee
    MrCoffee Posts: 33
    QBabe,
    I sliced the brisket I did weekend before last against the grain and used an electric knife. I just sliced it about as thin as I could without turning it into a major project.
    About half way into the cook, I sliced three big sweet onions and wrapped the brisket and the onions together in heavy duty aluminum foil until the internal temp was about 195°F.
    Interesting thing was that it was really good right after I sliced it. It was so much better and jucier later that evening and the next day. I even let it set wrapped in newspaper for about an hour before I sliced it.[p]Hope this helps,
    TerryF

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Brett,[p]My target dome temp was 250° and it never went below 235° or above 270°. I pulled it off at 189° (I thought my target was between 185° and 195°, or until fork tender). Did the tender test and the fork pulled out very easily with no tugging. Geez, I hope I didn't pull it too soon...[p]Hope you're having a fine Memorial Day! [p]Tonia
    :~)

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    QBabe,[p]I feel the rest is very important on a brisket and at least an hour is a good thing. Slice across the grain like you would flank or plate steak into slices that are a little thinner than a pencil. There are times that you can get thinner slices, however a few slices and you will know. Just slice it thick enough so the slices stay together and don't fall apart.[p]Ashley
  • Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    QBabe,[p]That sound good to me![p]Ashley