Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Assistance Please

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a pork butt question for the experts. Put the 7.5 lb roast on yesterday around 4 pm and maintained a nice low and slow @ 225-250 dome until I went to bed around midnight. Standard indirect plate setter set-up. Woke up to check at 5:30 and my dome was about 215 and the internal read 152 - I was pretty groggy so I opened the wheel ever so slightly to increase temp and went back to bed. Got up at 8:30, my fire was out and my internal was down to 135. By the time I got the fire going again internal was 122! I've got a fire of about 275 right now and I don't really want to get much higher than that. Am I proceeding correctly in trying to bring it back slow, or would I be better served to crank the temp to 300? Am I risking any spoilage issues? I'm not really on any timetable, but I imagine pork sandwiches will be for supper, not lunch. Any advice? Thanks in advance and sorry for the longwinded message.

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I wouldn't go higher, in fact I'd probably let it drop back down to the 225-250 range and let 'er ride and see what happens. I don't think there will be spoilage issues, that little bit of time that you lost fire (over a 3 hr period) only allowed the internal to drop a bit. I imagine that the internal came up again rather fast when you got the heat going again to around that 150 mark. So, you've just slowed the process.[p]Good luck, you'll be having pulled pork for dinner tonight![p]Mike in MN

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,[p]The meal is fine, albeit finishing a bit later than planned. The spoilage bacteria in the meal were killed once the temp passed 140°F. You can raise the temp to 300°F to help with time, but I wouldn't go any higher than that.[p]Spin
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Cornbread Willy, it seems like you ran out of lump. Were you using a large or a medium? I try to fill my firebvox up within an inch or two of top of the fire ring (not the firebox - more than that) when I'm doing a low and slow. With the medium I even try to put more than that in. Once you get the heat re-established, your internal temp will rise quickly. Watch and make sure you don't overcook (and dry it out). I put on two 8 LB butts last night at 7PM. I checked at midnight and I was holding at 240. At 2Am it was 225 so I kicked it up a bit and went back to bed. At 6:30 AM it was reading 250 and my internal was 198. I pulled them off, wrapped in foil and pulled them about 9:00 this morning. You should be good to go by now (11:30) so I bet you are eating sandwiches as you read this. Let us know how they turned out. Even the worst I have ever done was really tasty.

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Wise One,
    Hour 21: Actually, it's not going quite so well. You're right - I did run out of lump, though I'm pretty full right now and have been steady at 250-275 since about 9 am - I'm only at 156 internal, though. Do you think it's going to be dry? Not sure what my options are. Still hoping to have for supper...