Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZZZZZZZZZZZA

MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pizza.jpg
<p />Well I did my first pizza last night. Used the pizza Calzone recipe that sprinter posted. Cooked it for 25 minutes, on a plate stool(setter), and pizza stone at 550. The EGG held the temp like a rock.
It seemed a little crunchy. Maybe I cooked it too long. But good taist. I will try 20 minutes for the thin crust.

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MAC,[p]Purty Zaa MAC, makes me want to try another one myself soon. You cooked the pizza a bit longer than I usually do, generally about 15-20 minutes for me gives a real nice chewy crust. I make mine a bit thicker too, not thin crust but not thick either. Glad you liked the dough recipe. Try putting a tablespoon of italian seasoning in the dough next time, tastes great. Also, before cooking, brush the outer rim of crust with olive oil then sprinkle with parmesan cheese for an interesting taste as well.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MAC,
    That is a work of art there. Hard to believe it is just your first try. I cook about 12-14 inch pizzas, and they take 13-15 minutes at 550. For that big guy, 18 or 20 should do it. Play around with the times, and thicknesses of your dough and toppings til you are happy. Monitoring closely after 10 minutes thru the dome vent is a good idea.[p]Congrats on the success!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MAC, Extra nice Pizza..Everyone should take heart, if Spin can to it, anyone can...er, I mean, well, I'm terribly sorry Spin! :-) [p]C~W[p]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    MAC,[p] That there in one lovely looks meal,with the right amount
    of toppings. Great job.[p] Earl

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MAC, great looking pizza! If everyone knew how easy it is to get good results, Pizza Hut would go out of business.

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    MAC,
    Your picture helped move 'pizza' up a couple notches on my Egging 'must-do' list! That one looks like just the right size for the wife and I to satisfy our 'za fix. Slight, but humourous, aside: Everyone knows about Yogi Berra and his Berra-isms; well one time when out at an Italian restaurant, he asks the waitress, "Your medium pizza, how big is it?" To which she replies, "The medium is an 8-slice pizza, sir"
    Yogi thinks for a couple minutes, hums and hahs, then says, "I guess I'll have that, but could you slice it into four pieces, I don't think I could eat eight." :)[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    MAC,[p]Well done 1st effort. That is a bigg one too. I like mine about the same size. Vary the times to work, you have a lot of sauce and toppings so a little extra time might be needed. Mine go 15 min on average.[p]
    Tim

• Eggsodus
    Eggsodus Posts: 1
    MAC, Greetings, I just bought my fist Egg a few days ago, and I am truely Eggcited. I would love to begin cooking my sourdough bread in my egg, as well as the Pizza, yours looked great. I have a round stone, however, tell me about the plate stool or setter as you called it. Is that an optional thing BGE sells or where do I get them?
    Thanks for the input, and thanks to many of you who convinced me I was not insane to immediately go an purchase an EGG just one day after learning of them and reading all your enthusiastic chatter.
    Eggsodus

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    MAC,[p]Now that is one big, beautiful pie! Congratulations and thank you for sharing it (the pic I mean:)).[p]Looking at the lovely toppings and upper crust I'd say the cooking time/temp was perfect for them. The bottom crust was starting to dry out (It gets crisp on the bottom and chewy inside to crispy completely through before it starts to burn). You could start with a slightly thicker bottom dough and cook at the same time/temp, or use the same thickness of dough and kick the temp up to 575F and cook for a slightly shorter time (say 18-20 minutes). The higher temp will finish the toppings faster while preventing the drying of the bottom crust.[p]My hat is off to you. My first Egg pizza was manhole quality stuff.[p]Spin[p]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Char-Woody,[p]LOL, You are absolutely right :-). And this was his first one! [p]Spin

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    MAC,
    That is one fine lookin' pizza! I gotta hand it to ya! You're catchin' on to this in a hurry![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: Wait til ya all hear from Hank! That man is catchin' on in a hurry too! I'll let him bring ya up to date!

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Eggsodus,
    You can order the plate setter and a pizza stone from BGE. You will need both for Pizza and bread. I cooked my first french bread a month ago and it turned out OK. Sourdough would be excellent especially a rye in the round. I would love to duplicate a rye that we get in Detroit from a German bakery. Just read and follow the advise. You just have too much help here to go wrong. [p]MAC

• Char-Woody
    Spin, your the greatest..:-) I am constantly amazed at your prowess in the kitchen. Just clean up the mess better :-)
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• MrsSpin
    MrsSpin Posts: 6
    Char-Woody,[p]His prowess in cooking is magnificient, he still hasn't even come close to mastered cleanup :). Heehee.[p]MrsSpin
  • Char-Woody
    MrsSpin, Now thats a hug I owe yoooooooo! Heeee...! Well, the food is great, and I gotta admit, I kinda shirk me duties in cleanup too![p]Not like the rest of these Mr. Cleans around here that are spotless caretakers..:-)
    Watch the dough hit the fan now!!!
    Most Respectfully...C~W[p]

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    MAC,[p]Mighty fine pics and the pizza was a looker to.[p]Elder Ward