Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Two at the same time

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife wants to cook two large frozen DeGereno (sp) pizzas at the same time over the holiday weekend. I have a large Egg, plate setter, pizza stone and raised grid. She's thinking I can put one pizza on the plate setter and one on the stone on the raised grid. Or put the second one on a metal pizza pan on the raised grid. [p]I'm more concerned with the temperature variable. I normally cook a single pizza at about 500 degrees. I would like to show off my Egg's ability to cook evenly, even when cooking two different items.[p]Has anyone out there successfully cooked two frozen pizzas at the same time? Any advice would be appreciated.[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Spring Chicken, why pray tell, must both come off at the same time? Pizzas must be cut and then served, but stay hot and by the 6 to 8 minutes the second one comes off no one blinks an eye. If nothing else cook one and keep it warm while the other is cooking and then just serve them at the same time.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    kat,
    On the other hand, a Digiorno cheese pizza doesn't cost THAT much. Go experiment!! Hee![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Hey, here's one I trained for. [p]I've done tons of these self-raising pies and they come out exceptionally well done one at a time. I tried the over/under 2 pie cook a couple of times and it doesn't work very well. The bottom pizza will have a nice crust and unfinished toppings. The top pizza will have nice bubbling cheeze and a soggy crust.[p]IMHO, the best way to cook DiGiornos, Freshettas and the newly available Red Baron self-raisers is to use an inverted plate setter with the pie on the grid sitting on the legs of the setter. It's the same environment as if you used your oven. Don't use a pizza stone or the crust will not rise to the max. Run your temps 40-50° higher than the instructions call for and the pies will be done nicely in the times specified, usually 18-21 minutes. I cook them at 425-475° They will pick up a nice woodsysmoky flavor just from the lump.[p]For parties, just pick up a bunch of them and pop on a new one every time you remove a finished pie. Cut into small pieces and ask your guests to be patient. They will after they taste how good they come out.[p]K~G[p]

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    kat,
    One is pretty plain and one is a supreme. We like the supreme but her sister and hubby likes the plain.[p]I'll figure out something if it nothing more that to get everyone drunk first. Drunks will eat anything.[p]Thanks[p]Spring Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    KennyG,
    I think I follow you and that might work. My thoughts were to get the Egg evenly hot (if that's possible) and that way it would be like cooking in the gas oven only better tasting.[p]Might be easier to call Pizza Hut for them and cook mine the way I like it.[p]Thanks for the help.[p]Spring Chicken

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    kennyg,[p]you mentioned three brands - which one do you recommend[p]thanks - mr toad

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • KennyG
    Options
    Mr. Toad,[p]I've even tried "house" brand self-risers from our Giant Eagle chain. [p]Freshettas are our favorite. We buy the "4 cheeze" pies and add our own toppings.[p]K~G

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Mr. Toad,
    It`s good to see ya back posting again..Sally and I missed you and Alyce at Eggfest this year, man did we eat a lot, hope to see ya next year. Either way, glad your back.[p]Wess

• KennyG
    Options
    freschetta.jpg
    <p />Mr. Toad,[p]I knew I had a pic laying around somewhere and could not resist. This is a small Freschetta 4 cheese with my own freshly browned hot Italian sausage.[p]May I humbly suggest a sprinkle or two of Chef Paul Prudhommes "Pizza and Pasta Magic"?[p]K~G