Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Working on Replacing gasket..

DHall
DHall Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With the cotronics material. I took my XL apart and after a little closer inspection there was even less gasket left than I realized. It was mostly just buildup of grease from the last few years. Anyway I began to scrap after soaking with a bit of acetone. I followed the scrapping with a wire brush head on my drill. The surface is smoothed down pretty well with a few slightly rough patches but the whole surface is still pretty well discolored. All the pics and videos everyone I have seen of people installing their new gaskets they got the surface nice and clean like new ceramic surface. Should I keep grinding with the drill or just go with what I have?

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Over time ceramics will pick up smoke coloration that penetrates beyond the surface. Kinda like a smoke ring. If the ceramic surface looks free of grime and grease I guess your good to go even if not white in color.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    I'm not sure a wire brush is the best bet. I used an abrasive wheel in my drill. The surfaces need to be clean, clean clean for the adhesive to bond properly.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Check out the naked whiz site. It has detailed instructions for a rutland gasket. The prep is the same. The abrasive wheel shown is the one I used. Available at hardware stores.
  • What Clay said.

Mine certainly wasn't white when I changed it and it wasn't uniform in color. But it was clean and free of any remnants of the old gasket or grease. I think some of the ones I have seen lately were after just a few cooks, the adhesive failed, and therefore there wasn't an opportunity for the ceramic to get real nasty. That happened to me on my mini - I think it was the second cook and I simply wiped it down and stuck a new gasket on - no scraping at all.
  • DHall
    I havent done the lid yet so here are some pics of the remnants on the lid. As you can see there is really only a bit of the gasket left on the edge and the rest is junky buildup.
    IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

Here are a few shots of the base after cleaning with a scrapper tool followed by the paint stripper attachment on my drill.

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Put away the wire brush. Your're going to damage the EGG with that brush on your drill.

From your pictures you are ready to go.
  • DHall
    Thanks....I will work on the install tomorrow after I get the lid cleaned up nicely
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Hey Dhall
    BobbyQ is right, Do NOT use that drill,
    you may remove ceramic, NO NO NO
    use acetone and a rag, and scrub away
    the old glue with that, Yes it takes time
    but worth it. You know when clean by feel.
    You should feel NO tackiness from old glue.
    then your ready to go. I know this from experience. good luck BullyC
  • About a year and a half ago, I was told by John, sanding, grinding - power drill etc would void the warranty.

Is that correct - or am I repeating the wrong information?

GG
  • For me 91% rubbing alcohol works better than acetone. I used a stiff 2" wide paint scraper and some old rags or the heavy duty paper shop towles.

I can get a large dome & base "95% white" clean in 15 to 20 minutes.

Propane or MAPP will also remove the gasket and adhesive quickly working is short distances and a stiff paint scraper.

GG
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    still needs cleaning, more alcohol. I also used a pumice stone. Go to my web site and look under project for pics.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    This is what I usued to clean off the old gasket. I first scrape at the old gasket with a plastic scrapper to remove the big parts. Then I put this on my drill, it removes what is left of the glue. Then I run over it with some acetone.
    010109009.jpg
    It is pretty soft material, I usued one all up on a large top and bottom. I did not hurt the ceramic in any way at all.
    12508004.jpg
    12508003.jpg
    good luck with it