Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accessories

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, going to pick up a Big Green Egg for the hubby for Father's Day. What accessories are ones you wouldn't want to live without? Want to know what I need to get to go with it!! Thanks

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Karen,
    first, how about divorcing that guy and marrying me??. . .your husband is some lucky guy!!!. .. .(actually, my wife bought me my first egg, or at least gave me the money to buy it,so i'm pretty lucky too). ..[p]here is the basic list (some places sell some of these items as part of the basic deal)[p]spring hinge top
    daisy wheel
    nest (or table if you are really generous and really love him)
    dome temp thermometer[p]other basics that are nice to have [p]ash tool
    plate setter
    pizza stone
    bags of BGE lump [p]i'm sure others will weigh in with more[p]welcome to the club[p]max

• Unknown
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks for the great list!!! Hubby and I have our deal, he lets me have my purse addiction and I support his BBQ thang. Although I do love the food he cooks with all his contraptions!!! :)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Karen,
    all i can say is, if you loved his food before, just wait till you taste what comes off the egg. .. you'll give up your purse addiction for something else that came from the cow other than its skin!!!!. .. .[p]enjoy, and when he gets it, tell him to come to this site, he'll get all the tips/help/recipes he'll ever need right here. .. [p]where do you guys live, hopefully its someplace not to far from an 'eggfest', a truly outstanding gathering of fun people making outrageous food on eggs. . ..[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    We live in North Alabama so there is a lot of BBQ cooking down here. I think 1/4 of his blood is BBQ sauce!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bbchicken.jpg
    <p />Karen,
    Mad Max gave you great advice. If I could add, a few filets, babyback ribs, whole chicken for beer butt chicken, and check out Dizzy Pig rubs.

[ul][li]Get Spun!!![/ul]
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Karen,
    Lucky man![p]Depending on the dealer, many of the things like the daisy top, thermometer, etc will come standard. Ash tool and grill gripper are musts. But for cooking, the plate setter and pizza stone will be greatly appreciated and used.[p]And don't forget to tell him to throw the instruction book away and visit here often.

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Karen,
    I used to live between Florence and Huntsville, and Karen is right... great barbecue! Some of the best Q came from the Texaco station on Highway 72 in Killen, AL![p]To the accessory list I would add a grill extender (under What's New on this site). It gives you another level of grill surface; something you might find useful for large cooks.[p]BBS

• Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Options
    Karen,[p]Agree with all posts below, but the other item missing is a Polder-type thermometer. My guess is 99% of the people that post to this board have one (or more) of these, and we wouldn't want to leave your husband out of the loop![p]Cheers -[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Karen, If I were you I would come to Atlanta to get your egg, talk to B.A. and swing a deal getting all the accessories for a negotiated price. B.A. will hand out some good deals when you are there with him.

• Unknown
    Options
    Karen,[p]I'm in B'ham, ton's of good Q in the state but my favorite is probably The Brick Pit down in Mobile.[p]
    Oh, and I would also get a V-rack. One way it holds a pork loin quite nicely, turn it over and you can stand slabs of ribs on their side and do several at once. A polder thermo is nice too...can keep tabs on internal temp without opening the dome and letting the heat out. Probably already have some long tongs, but if not they are really nice to have since the BGE can hit temps for searing that are likely much higher than hubby is used to.

• Unknown
    Options
    Karen,
    The items mentioned below are good things to have. Other options you might wish to consider are:[p]Lighting device: Starter cubes, chimney starter, or a torch. I seem to use the torch the most often.[p]Grill extender: Either the one that BGE sells or another with stainless steel bolts for legs. Either one will increase your cooking capacity.[p]A digital camera to document your cooks.[p]A huge supply of lump charcoal.[p]A freezer to stock up when something goes on sale as well as to freeze your leftovers for future meals.[p]A vacuum sealer for leftovers.[p]A pizza peel. I use mine for both pizza's as well as for briskets and pork butt removal.[p]Wood chunks: Apple, hickory, oak, etc for smoke flavor when cooking.[p]A wok type basket with holes in it for veggies and whatnot.[p]And of course lots and lots of beer.
    Matt.