Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork rib-end roast

Options
omba
omba Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks,

Had a half-loin of pork.
Used the center a few days ago.
Got the "rib" end of the roast left.
Butcher suggesteed boneless country "ribs."
I don't know if he's right, but I liked the idea.
So ...
Butterflied and cut into 1-inch slices.
I assume direct, raised, around 400 for whatever time it takes (to 145 less than 1 hour?).
If you know better, please advise.
And if you don't know better, please wish me luck. :laugh:

Grazie,
Pietro

PS > I tried a search here, but I was unable to find anything.

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    I just did a quick search out on the net. The jury seems to think cooking them low and slow. None of them were Eggers, and most of them wanted to put them in the oven, so you may want to take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully someone chimes in with better advice.

Your avatar and you propane cart inspired me to order a weed burner. I'm holding you responsible!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I would go indirect at 225-250. I think 400 direct will dry them out.

Mike
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I would cook it just like a tenderloin, 350 direct turning every 10 minutes or so and pull them at 145 internal. -RP
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i believe the country rib end is probably already cut off the rib end you have, dooes it look more like a loin or is there more fat marbled in like in the picture of a country rib roast. anyways if its a loin you roast it, if its a butt you cook it low and slow, dont over cook the loin, get it off the grill at about 142 and rest it a few minutes.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/09/pork-country-style-ribs.html
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PWise
    PWise Posts: 1,173
    Options
    Pork is one of those meats that being so susceptible to drying out, almost always benefits from a brine...

I would brine it on a 6% solution for 6-12 hours (depending on weight), then wash it clean and dry, season as wanted and then cook indirect at 300°F over a drip pan until 140-145°F internal is reached...

good luck! hehe :woohoo:
  • omba
    Options
    LMAO!

And you're gonna love it! Just you wait.
    This, of course, assumes that you enjoyed jumping out of trees with loud yells in your youth, or you really enjoy a good fireworks show, or every once in a while you play air guitar with music blasting around you. :)

And thanks,
    Peter
  • omba
    Options
    See?
    I found conflicting advice which is probably because I am NOT a meat guru!
    I, too, found the low/slow, direct/indirect, confusion about this piece of pork. Roasting it like the rest of the loin was probably the smartest thing, but it's too late for that.
    It was the butcher who told me, "That's the piece we use for bonless country ribs." Had I picked it up as a roast AND NOT TALKED TO THE MAN, then I might well be having roast pork tonight! Then again, because we had that conversation, I might well be on to something that we'll enjoy. :)
    I'll deal with it this evening and post the results for all to enjoy by tomorrow.
    Unless I hear/discover something otherwise, I'm going to follow the AZRP plan above. Why? It's what I want to do ... even with the wrong piece of pig.

More will follow ... and thanks again,
    Peter
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Peter,
    The answer lies directly in my profile picture. Please keep in mind that I was playing with my 3 year old niece at the time, and she looked much better in the "concert get up."

Good Luck with you ribs...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I was assuming it was part of the loin, but country ribs are typically cut from the butt. Take a good look at the meat and if it is marbled with fat and connective tissue it probably is from the butt, if it looks more like a pork chop it is from the loin. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. -RP