Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Appetizers

Ripnem
Ripnem Posts: 5,511
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have an annual appetizer competition/party this Saturday. This is a VERY serious event for me. I plan on transporting the big green feller to my buddys place to put on a little show. I only see 4 apps in the cookbook (here on the site) and am wondering if all you gurus have any secret recipes. I do a lot of smoked salmon and have been using it in my apps for 4 yrs or so in this competition. I've taken 1st or 2nd every year in at least one category. (sorry, just the facts) This years categories are Best tasting and Most elegant.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Grilled pineapple?

Split whole pineapple into quarters, keeping the top on (nicer presentation).
    Cut into cubes, but don't remove from rind.
    Make a syrup with 1 stick butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup rum, 1/2t. cinnamon.
    Brush pinapple liberally several times while it is cooking. Takes about 15-20 minutes, just to warm it through. It's usually gone in half the time it took to cook it.

Slick
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    a really simple one is shrimp lejon. shrimp with horseradish wrapped in bacon. ive been doing it with proscuito lately. do a google search and there is a roumalade that goes with it. ive never tried the sauce, but the more horesradish you can get in there the better.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Don't have a recipe for you but wanted to give you a nod on your personal quote! BTW, in the movie they were the Hanson brothers, in real life 2 of them were actually brothers (the Carlson's) and the third's last name was actually Hanson. A third Carlson was originally cast for the movie but got called up to the big leagues before filming.
  • Ripnem
    Hanson...Thats right. Thanks for the correction. I had a coach that grew up playing with the two brothers and said they were about as nuts as the roles they had.
  • apparently the screenplay was written by their teammates sister and the Carlson's were the basis of the Hanson's characters
  • Ripnem
    What mountain ya eggen on?
    I haven't been to the rockies in a few years. :(
    I lived in Whitefish MT for a ski season back in the early 90's. Still can't believe I left.
  • Double smoked eggs, I worked on this yesterday for Ocala. Smoked some eggs. If you put some big chunks of wood an hour will probably do. I am still experimenting with the time & wood. Remove yolks, mix yolks,cream cheese with chives,mayo,diced red onion or scallions, smoked salmon. You could use a pipping bag & fill eggs, sprinkle a few capers on top.

DSCN3087.jpg

Top egg smoked 1 hour
    second 1 & a half
    third 2 hours
    I also have been working on a shrimp in puff pastry shells app.
    Also Buckboard Blankets, these are good but not fancy
    Let us know how you fare.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Here is one I really like. The presentation is really nice. For some reason I cant find any pictures...anyways, for serving, I usually have the grilled tenderloins sliced and on a platter with a bowl of the plum sauce and a bowl of the sesame seeds. When I do a prepared platter, I do the dipping (sauce and seeds) and arrange for serving. You want to dip half of each medallion into sauce and then the seeds, leaving the other half with the grilled/glazed finish.

PLUM PORK

2 pork tenderloins

Marinade:
    2 -1/2 teaspoons sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon ginger juice
    2 tablespoons catsup
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 -1/2 teaspoons wine
    1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
    Mix all of the marinade ingredients together, reserve some for basting during the cook.
    Mix the hoisin & honey together.
    1 tablespoon brown sugar (packed)
    1 teaspoon finely chopped dried red chili pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    sesame seeds - toasted

Combine all ingredients for the dipping sauce, EXCEPT sesame seeds, in a saucepan and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate in a covered container overnight to blend flavors. Prior to serving, toast sesame seeds and place in a separate bowl.
    Make the dipping sauce one or two days before you plan on cooking. Make the marinade and marinate pork for at least 4 hours, or overnight (8 hours) if you wish. Make the finishing sauce while the cooker is coming up to temp, keep at room temperature. The finishing sauce can be thinned with a little apple juice.

Preheat cooker to 375° with an indirect set up. Roast the tenderloins until the internal temperature is around 150°, basting occasionally with the reserved marinade. Turn & rotate as needed. When close to done, baste with the finishing sauce, remove and rest for a few minutes. You can add more finishing sauce to even out the coating. Ramp up the cooker and briefly move the tenderloins directly over the coals in order to glaze the meat. Be careful not to burn the glaze. Let pork cool and cut into thin slices. Dip the sliced pork into the plum dipping sauce, then into the sesame seeds. Then enjoy.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one that you can enjoy. You can cook them in most any pan.

Appetizer, Escargot, Mushrooms, Richard Fl

For an early Father's Day dinner, decided to have some escargot to go with a prime rib, however did not have any snail shells handy. Opted for mushrooms as a substitute and used a Danish Aebleskiver pan to hold the shrooms.Here they are done.

SHROOMSDONE.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    15 Large Mushrooms, Button, About 1 1/2 inch,
    36 Escargot, Rinsed & Drained
    Pernod Butter
    1 1/2 Ozs Pernod, French Liquer, Circa 1805
    1 Stick Butter, Softened, Not Melted
    1/2 Cup Parsley, Fresh
    2 Tbs Garlic, Minced
    lasck Pepper, Coarse Ground
    1-2 Shallots, Minced Fine, White Portion
    Garnish:
    Lemon Wedges
    Parsley Sprigs
    Equiptment:
    Aebleskiver Pan--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æbleskiver

Procedure:
    1 Cut out the stems and edges of the mushrooms.
    2 Mixed the ingredients for the Pernod butter in a small food processor and blended. Placed the mushrooms in the Aebleskiver pan and added 2-3 escargot, depending on size. Topped with 2/3 teaspoons Pernod butter.
    BGE Set-Up:
    1 Had just finished cooking a 4# prime rib on the small egg 350°F indirect removed and set up BGE up direct. Placed Aebleskiver cast iron pan directly on grid and opened the top and bottom vents.. Cooked 7-8 minutes on the way up from 350°F to 500°F.

Yield: 15 Mushrooms

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2008/06/12
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    That looks good. I've only eaten escargot in restaurants. Are these canned? Is their a preferred way to buy them?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I used to get them in cans of 72 pieces from a friend who had a restaurant that served them. He has moved on so now I get a can of 72 at World Bazaar. Some high end grocery stores have a small can usually 12 and then the snail shells attached to the package. I never use all of the large can but they freeze well in their own juices.. Cans of 72 are about $10-12. If you have access to a restaurant suppler they might carry them. The Pernod is the big $$$$ 750ml is $28.99, but the flavor is worth it IMHO and the bottle never seems to run dry. PS have some good french bread to sop the juices with.
  • Gunnar
    Thanks, I can almost take the garlic butter. That's why I like your use of mushrooms in lieu of shells or the serving dish.
  • Here is a pic of what I am going to make at the meet & greet. pastry cups,rotel with lime cilantro,sour cream,cream cheese, grilled shrimp, old bay, add a little chopped cilantro on top for color

DSCN3091.jpg
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Adam:

My suggestion would be the Shrimpburgers...click on the link HERE to take you to a tutorial on prepping them and another link to the recipe.

Here is a couple of pics of the finished item...on the Egg just before coming off
    P3211002.jpg

and on the buns ready to eat...
    P3211003.jpg

At the EggFests I usually place a toothpick in each corner and then cut into 4 "bites" so there are more to go around.

Best of luck on the friendly competition!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Gunnar
    Oooh, I like this too. Someday follow up with a little detail if you would.
  • Look up Hodag cookies. Real Good. Another favorite of mine is Spicey Shrimp by AZRP.

DSC_0016_edited.jpg

Recipe

Randy's (AZRP) Spicy shrimp are terrific.

Ingredients:
    1 lb 15 ct shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for
    a handle, butterflied
    2 Clove Garlic, minced
    1 tsp Kosher salt
    1 tsp Paprika
    1/2 tsp Cayene pepper
    2 tsp Lemon juice
    2 Tbs Olive oil

Cooking Directions:

Take 1 tsp of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with
    the side of your knife or a mortar and pestal(easier).
    Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayene pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive
    oil.
    Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting
    down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now.
    Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at
    about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight
    and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tellwhen they are done, don't overcook!
  • omba
    omba Posts: 241
    That sounds delicious!
    Going to give it a shot next week.

Thanks,
    Peter
  • Barbecued Meatballs are very easy to do and make a great appetizer and can be served several different ways and all are good.

S1E029.jpg

Picture shows 216 meatballs ready to go on the smoker.

S1E032.jpg

Ready to be served out of crock pots.

Info with my recipe and method here:
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Barbecued Meatballs

Another nice treat is my wrapped ABT's. These are great as they can be used as a finger food or just placed on a plate with your other appetizers.

S1E010.jpg

This is a pan of my ABT's in a Blanket just out of the cooker.

S1E011.jpg

As served

Again, my recipe and method can be found here:
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/ABT's

Dipstick
  • Ripnem
    You all are the best! What a group. Some great stuff so far. Not sure how, but all these apps should get loaded into the "cookbook" section for future reference.

Thank you all
  • I did my undergrad at West Virginia University, the Mountaineers. Still cant believe I left either.