Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vetern egghead, new to forum

phatboy
phatboy Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all
i've owned a BGE for three years and sell them at a local grill shop. i was wondering if anyone has advise on finishing off a brisket. i've been cooking it for a couple of hours, (its only a 2 pounder!!) still a little tough. any advice will be greatly appreciated. i've done bigger brisket before and have never had this problem.
Thanks

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    That small you might be better off to foil with a little broth. What's the meat temp now?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    poolman has some good advice...

welcome to the forum

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• 160, i have a foil pan and i could do some beef broth and foil it.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    That will work then just cook until it passes the fork test. Probably just a couple hours but check it so it doesn't turn to mush. Also it doesn't take much broth.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is the recipe FlaPoolBoy provided after I had one of his great briskets. PS had some more at his superbowl party this year.

Beef, Brisket, FlaPoolMan

This recipe was given to me by my BGE salesman at Pinch-A-Penny here in Melbourne, Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Whole Brisket
    Mix:
    1 12 Ozs Beer
    12 oz Water
    1/2 cup Brown sugar
    10 Shakes Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
    1 Tbs Cayenne pepper
    5 Shakes Tabasco, to taste
    2 Tsp Onion powder,
    2 Tsp Dry mustard.
    S&P to taste
    Heat and Serve:
    2 Pkgs Au Jus, Mix as per package instructions.

Procedure:
    1 One whole brisket with fat trimmed then cut in half (to fit in steamer trays later---8 X 10 which are 1/2 commercial tray size).
    2 Rub the night before with your favorite steak rub, I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.
    3 Place both pieces on the egg at 250-275 direct for 1 1/2 hrs each side.
    4 Remove brisket pieces and put in steamer trays, 8 X 10 inches, dividing the liquid. mix and cover tightly with foil.
    5 Return to egg at 250 indirect (they can be stacked on top of each other) and leave for 4 to 5 hours.
    6 Remove and discard cooking liquid, slice against the grain and add au jus sauce (about 2 cups each container) and serve.
    7 If precooking for the next day wait until you are ready to reheat to add the au jus.
    8 Not the conventional way to make a brisket but it is really easy and the taste is great.!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, FlaPoolMan, 2008/06/30

e
  • Thanks
    Brisket turned out great! i did foil and broth for about two hours and it turned out great. thanks again