Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Grill Cover Material???

Options
ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone know what is the best material to use for an Egg table cover?

I had one custom made 8 years ago. It was that green heavy vinyl material with the white backing. The Colorado sun dried that baby up in a matter of a few years.

I need a material that:
1. Stands up to UV
2. Will last a long time
3. Water proof
4. Flexible in cold weather (that vinyl got so stiff you could stand it up)
5. You can sew it

Maybe I could use that stuff they made Denver International Airport's roof out of. :lol:

Thanks for the help.

CC

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sunbrella is a great marine lots of sun environment. Have no clue about cold weather. http://www.sunbrella.com/
  • ColoradoCook
    Options
    Hmmm...this looks good. A fabric store up the street carries it. Thank you!
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    After thought. I have a redwood swing that seats 3 adults on each side and the cushion covers are made of BGE Green Color Sunbrella. These have been exposed to the Fl sun, salt and water environment for 8+ years and have not lost their color or firmness. Would send a pic, but it is dark city here on the East Coast.
    My large w/table has a vinyl oversize BGE cover and it has held up well for 5 years, but if I ever replace it, I will have a custom Sunbrella made for it.
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I have no recommendation for fabric, but I would go double thick with material where it will hit the corners of your table. Maybe put in some vents. I have heard of covers acting like a sail on eggs in a nest. If you have a light and narrow table that may be a concern for you if your egg table is not in a protected area.
  • Abelman
    Options
    I have 5 covers from these guys in the kaki polyester. I'm in CO as well and they stand up very well. Personally, they can't be beat in terms of quality and price.

The oldest cover I have is over 5 years. It's a year round cover so it gets the full gambit of weather. It has some sun fade but very little given the time period. They have a 3 year warranty to boot.

Anyway, take a look as they might work for you.

http://www.the-cover-store.com/
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas. Yes I would probably double the fabric at the corners like an elbow of a working jacket.
    My large sits in a very heavy table under the overhang of the house on a cement slab by the pool, so it is relatively well protected.
  • Check boating supply stores (or web sites) for whatever material boaters use for awings, covers for woodwork, etc. on their boats.