Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE is dropping.....

Options
DryFly
DryFly Posts: 351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
.....the ball on this gasket issue. There is no reason why folks shelling out over $1k for a Large and accessories should be confronted with these kinds of problems. The gasket material and adhesive that comes with the unit is obviously inferior, as well as the replacements in many cases. I know that a lot of people, for reasons best known to themselves, feel compelled to fire the Egg to ore smelting levels, some to clean their unit after 2 or 3 burns, but when you advertise that it can handle 1200 degrees you can understand why people get pissed. Who the hell wants to go through the aggravation of replacing the felt. A ceramic gasket, like the ones put out by Cotronics in Broooklyn, NY, that can handle 2400 degrees, or similar, should be on the original. I've sunk a lot of $$$ in my 2 units and refuse to bring temp above 500 under any circumstances. I buy Pizza. . If you think about it, this is the only issue people have complained about about an otherwise great vessel.

Comments

• Harleydog77
    Options
    I agree about this gasket issue. My egg is 3 weeks old and I am on my 3rd gasket :(
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    and has become a non-issue. Most have come to accept it as a rite of passage . . . of sorts. ;)

I've had my Large Egg for 11 years and I'm only on my third gasket. I cook regularly at 600º and 700º. The gasket material is no different now than it was 11 years ago.

My first gasket took 4 or5 years to get worn and burned so thin that I thought it should be replaced. I made sure the surfaces that were going to hold the gasket were clean, dry and free of any dust or dirt. The one thing I did that I think was over kill was to take a small piece of wood and a hammer and lightly tamp (that's a better word than tap)the gasket all the way around making sure not to whack it too hard but, to make sure it was seated well.

I don't mean to irritate anyone with this post just tossing out an option that was learned with time.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Options
    I totally agree. Having spent time as a design engineer and project manager, I can truthfully say, heads would roll on my watch. The inability or, I think, the unwillingness of BGE to meet these problems is inexcusable.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    By the way. I went with the Coltronics and couldn't be happier.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I've had my Large since 1999. Replaced three gaskets. This one has been on there for three years. Works fine.

The first two burned out because of a combination high and low spot @ 4 o'clock. That's the only point my gasket burned. So the last time I used a piece of 3/4" MDF plywood (very flat stuff) to lay across the opening to spot exactly where the problem was. I used my belt sander to knock down the high spot. Then I worked the rim until the low spot was also gone. There's still a very slight gap but the gasket fills it in.

Problem solved.

Spring "Trial & Error Engineer" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    I realize I am relatively new to the EGG world, but I would like to add my 2 cents. I had my egg for 2 months with about 12 uses under my belt. None of the cooks went above 400 degrees. I had done a Mad Max turkey for a trial run for Thanksgiving, and the next day when I went out to cook agin both top and bottom gasket where coming off the egg at several locations.
    My dealer mad good on a new felt gasket and I used the adhesive to put it on. I cannot belive that a company would not change the gaskets to Nomex, or some other material, on the new EGGS coming out of the factory.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    My gasket never fell off, it fried before my eyes. Cooking burgers at 400 degs. one of the burgers sizzled when it was flipped. This splashed onto the gasket. The gasket went up in a puff of smoke. Personally I think it is not a good design idea to use material that will not withstand the advertised temp range of a product for a gasket that is exposed to the heat.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    issue comes up frequently because it hasn't been put to bed.

proaction is better than reaction, but to-date there isn't any official reaction either.

i think it all goes away with a little statement on the bge website.

these cookers are sold predominantly by word of mouth. the myths and truths surrounding the gasket issue are perpetuated by the same little grapevine.

live by the sword, die by the sword.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    I will give BGE the benefit of the doubt that they are doing everything they can to fix this. I know many are getting tired of coming on the forum and reading about more problem with gaskets, and some say they have been using their egg with no gasket for a long time with no problem. That is fine, but some eggs don't seal well enough without gaskets for a good low and slow, much more lump gets burned after closing both vents, and some simply want their egg to be equipped as it is supposed to be. Also, I bet that if the ones upset with the ones who are complaining would have had to replace gaskets twice or more in a month after buying their egg they would understand the complaints. We all love our egg and our antennas go up when they are knocked, but I find some of the responses on the forum to be quite humorous. When the XL egg came out many of the owners complained about them. The plate setter legs are too short leaving no room for a normal sized drip pan, the hinges had problems, the food grate was closer to the fire when compared to the large egg. One week had tons of complaints on here, then three days later someone who was thinking about buying an XL says he has heard the Xl has a few problems and asks for feedback and he gets hammered with all responses saying there are no problems, what are you talking about? Hopefully this gasket issue will be behind us shortly.
  • Salguod
    Salguod Posts: 130
    Options
    I agree. Since my egg works fine now (after installing the nomex gasket with Super 77) I am personally happy. But other people with the gasket problem should at least be treated with courtesy and allowed to vent their frustrations without getting jumped on.

My issue now is that I love my egg and I want to recommend BGE to friends. But I can't do so in good conscience until the gasket issue is resolved. :blush:
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Undoubtably the gasket issue will be resolved. Even then, we will still need to change the gasket, whether from wear, user error, or whatever. Would there be any downside to having a thicker gasket, and that gasket only be placed on the base? We would only have half the hassle, and we would not have to take off the dome.
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Inksmyth, did you buy the woven or the thermal tape? Did you use their adhesive as well?
  • As usual, you're right.

I think an announcement, officially worded of course, is needed. Ball is in your court to write it.

If BGE sold the Egg with the Coltronic gasket someone would **** any way. I guess it could be said sort of like this; no one gives a damn if you are having problems with your gasket. suck it up and go cook something.

How's that for a start Mr. stike?
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    To all Newbies
    I agree with salquod
    I had many problems with my bottom gasket,
    like Salquod I replaced with nomex and 3msuper 77. Another gentlemen has mentioned
    high heat automotive silicon, that really makes sense. Remember most newbies are gonna
    make mistakes cause egg is new to them and me. I have talked to bruce at BGE many times,
    and he assures me that the nomex and 3m77 will work. Has to be put on right though.
    I think I am a friggin expert now, i have put on at least 5 gaskets in last 4 months,
    I too think bad adhesive. This should not
    happen, I also spent probably a grand for everything. Yes it was worth the aggravation
    cause this egg cooks awesome and is fun to use. I hope the people in mexico are not trying to cut costs by using inferior but cheaper glue. My suspicion is they are but can't prove it. After all are the execs at BGE down there watching them make it? Doubt it. Last, for newbies Watch the video I mention earlier, WWW.fredsmusicandbbq.com
    He shows you how to do it.
    thanks for listening BullyC
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    How many time do we have to listen to this same harangue?
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Until BGE fixes the problem, would be my quess.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    Options
    Look how many new eggers sign up on this forum every week. It is going to be an ongoing thing here as long as they are falling off with new users. Mine fell off after my 2nd pizza cook after about 3 months total of use.

Just don't read the threads if you don't want to keep hearing about it, but let people post who are having problems with it.
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi Chappy

could not agree more with you. if getting
    tired of reading about it on forum, then move on and read other things. there are all kinds of subjects to read about on this forum
    that is interesting. So like you said, move on. take care BullyC
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    I went with the woven material. Used hi heat permatex silicone as an adhesive. Let dry for 1 hour. For the acid test, ran the temp up to 1000 degs. for 1 hour.
    Didn't even singe the gasket.
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    Personally, I'm interested in the outcome of all this.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    good to see you post.

lr
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    you should be in charge of NASA...but we all knew that already.