Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The tornado meets my new BGE

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are new BGE owners. We "hatched" our brand new egg on May 6th, loved it so much that we cooked out again on the 8th and 9th (it was hailing on the 7th). Last Friday night (the 9th), we timed our dinner around what was needed to heat the egg, cook the steaks and eat before the impending thunderstorm warning was due to pass overhead (thank you doppler radar). 10 minutes after finishing the best steaks that we've ever had, a nasty thunder and hail storm hit - we actually had lightning hit either a tree in front of our house. 5 minutes later (with no tornado warning even issued), the wind got absolutely frightening. We had about 1 minute to make a decision to head to our storm cellar out back of the house (we have a 100 year old Victorian that doesn't have a basement). As we barely forced the side door open against the wind, the tornado debris was hitting the house around us, and we managed to run, fall, then crawl to the storm cellar. 10 minutes later, with the dead calm returning we came out of the storm cellar, noticed that most things on our patio were either missing entirely or laying all around the yard. What was the first thought that passed thru both of our minds at the time? You got it: "is our egg still standing?" Not only was it untouched, but the ash scraper and the wood chips laying next to it never moved an inch. Our old smoker (rest its soul) is now scattered all over Cass County, Missouri, and as far as we're concerned, good ridance. Part of the roof was gone, the columns holding up the front porch are cracked, the steel flag pole bent, windows blown out, cars damaged, barn leaning inward, but THE EGG REMAINED! Woohoo[p]We didn't make the national news as a much bigger tornado hit Oklahoma city that night. Our claim to fame in Freeman Missouri was the dents to the Amoco pumping station tankers (they were dented like beer cans) and the RV park that was destroyed. We were the last house hit in the 4 mile path that the tornado(s) passed thru.[p]But the egg survived!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Amy and Steve in KC,
    Great story. Wow! Of course, you can buy another egg, but you can't buy another Amy and Steve. Needless to say we are happier that you guys are ok. But maybe you have hit on something here. Maybe if they used BGE's to tie down mobile homes.....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    The Naked Whiz,
    and...they have something great to cook on while rebuilding![p]Congratulations, Amy & Steve.[p]Ken

• The Naked Whiz,
    And forgot this little tidbit: the tornado tore a number of branches from my apple, pear, maple and walnut trees. So, not only did the egg survive, I've got some great smokin' wood out of the deal![p]Thanks for the kind thoughts.....

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Amy and Steve in KC,
    Sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm glad the steaks were great and your egg is ok. We have been pretty lucky here in Rocheport - actually we live just outside Rocheport. We've had severe stuff popping up all around us - it's gone to the north, to the south, to the east and the west, but so far we have escaped unscathed. Here's knocking on wood! Good luck on your repairs.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Amy and Steve in KC,
    Wow. What a story! I wondered if there were any Eggers caught in the terrible midwest storms these past few weeks. I'm glad you weren't hurt and hope the damage to your home can be fixed quickly. Enjoy the Egg!
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Amy and Steve in KC,[p]Why do I have a feeling your place looked like the Van Halen album cover "right here right now".....the Egg being safe is a bonus.....very glad you and yours are safe and sound.

[ul][li]right here, right now cover[/ul]
  • Amy and Steve in KC,[p]We also were in the path of a tornado that hit Battlefield, Missouri. We lost our sunroom, parts of our roof, windows, fence, storagebuilding, and too many trees. But our large, small, and mini BGE's on the back deck made it just fine. We were in the basement of the house across the street and emerged to find their house totally blown away. It was one scary experience we hope never to repeat.We are thankful to be alive...and so luck our pets (3 dogs and a cat) were found safe and sound. I am typing this for my husband, Jack, who is incapacitated and has a haard time typing long messages! I am his wife, Margaret.[p]Jack

• Jack N and Margaret:[p]I'm thinking that the BGE has some magical powers to prevent total destruction. I laughed at one of the responses that said we should anchor BGE's to trailer parks.[p]Glad to hear you and your critters were not hurt. We would have lost 15 of our cats/kittens (who came in to get out of the storm) if the house had gone. That is one nightmare that I don't want to repeat![p]Happy egging!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Amy and Steve in KC,
    holy swirling cyclonic hell! What a story. [p]Out east here I don't get to hear a lot of firsthand stories like that one (and JackN's). At the Eggfest in Waldorf Maryland last year, the bus (driving us to Capn Billy's) drove through an area south of Waldorf that had recently been pounded by a tornado...one of the bigger and more destructive ones in the history of the state. Anyway, the whole bus was silent as we passed by the couple-hundred foot wide swath that was carved out of the landscape. [p]Reading your story I felt like I was there with you.[p]So glad to see that you are posting a message on the forum instead of laying in a hospital bed, or attending a funeral!! Happy you all are okay.[p]Thanks for the story!
    Chris[p]PS. I also got a big kick out of the comment about anchoring a mobile home to the egg. LOL

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ