Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre smoking beef for Jerky

ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past I've smoked beef slices for jerky. Once smoked for a few hours I pulled them out of my large egg and finished off in my electric dehydrator. This technique was far easier to control temp than doing it all in Egg.

A few years back I saw someone that connected there mini with their large via flexible, metal dryer exhaust pipe. They simply created a smoldering fire in the mini and transferred smoke and low heat to the large. I believe they were doing cold smoking for salmon.

Anyone here no how to do that and have any guidelines to share? Do you simply connect the pipe from to top to top or top to bottom vent? If I could maintain 150 degrees this way I could make some killer beef jerky.

One other idea. I thought of connecting the top of either of my eggs to the back of my Excaliber dehydrator via the flex pipe. The dehydrator has nice racks and is able to hold a steady temp. I'm just concerned that the influx of smoke through the back air vents might eventually ruin my unit. All I need is a nice steady stream of blue smoke, for a few hours, then I could disconnect it and let the dehydrator finish it out.

Sorry for the long one.

Thx
CC

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i can hold lower temps 145 with some spikes to 175 and it seems to do the trick. i use old spent small pieces about 2 to 3 inches deep, small pieces help clog the air holes reducing airflow and heat. scott borders burns his lump in a coffee can with the bottom removed on the grate and this smaller amount of lump also helps keep the fire down. anothe method is gfw's stack and pile method, with this you pile the jerkey up and shuffle it as it cooks, higher heat, 170 to 200 can be used with this method.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've used GFW's method for 8 or more years now for long cooks for brisket and pulled pork...works very well. I like that coffee can idea, that may be the trick to get the results I want. Thanks!
  • That's great info, enjoyed the link to your previous post. Given the low temps I might just try racking up my Excaliber dehydrator trays (made of plastic) in the Egg, smoke for 2 hours and move trays into dehydrator to finish out. All that Egg pampering can be a pain. Most of the smoke penetration happens in the first few hours anywhoo. Thx
  • I have used the flexible gas vents for years. I can't remember but I think it was Chef Arnoldi that provided pictures and ideas. I place the heat/smoke (very little) in my small and transfer to the large. I have only used this on salmon/trout/ . Hope this helps.