Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why does my small heat up so slowly?

Options
Sweathog
Sweathog Posts: 75
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When compared to the large, my small egg is a real snail in getting up to temp. What's the deal? My firebox is properly aligned to the opening, I use a wiggle rod, I clear my ash out. I light with a MAPP torch in three or four places. I use Wicked Good Charcoal.

My large is a relative rocket in comparison. Maybe it's the volume of charcoal, but the fire in the lump in the small doesn't seem to spread as quickly. What do y'all think?

Sweathog

Jim

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Wicked Good is slow burning. Haven't had much luck using it in the small.
    Try a faster burning and quicker lighting lump.

Mike
  • Sweathog
    Options
    I hadn't thought of that. As an update, I lit the lump 38 minutes ago and I'm only up to 370 degrees wide open. In the large I would have a raging inferno.

Thank you for the advice, Mike.

Sweathog

Jim
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have the same problem but I do not know why. I use Royal Oak made in America for the charcoal and two starter cubes. I use to use one but now two and it is still slow in heating up.
  • I finally figured out that for me it depended on which egg got used more, the large or the small. When I used the small more often it would light quick.
    I tend to add some new lump to the left over lump that is already in it, and when you do that the older lump in the egg you use the least is going to be pretty damp sometimes, and the ceramic will be damp too from sitting and not being used.
    Like Mike said, useing lighter lump like cowboy helps.

It takes a while to dry out the lump and get to temp. If you started with all new light lump, and even a drier egg, it would get up to temperature quick. Mine did when it was new, and nothing has changed. It just sits unused for a long time.
  • Oledog
    Oledog Posts: 118
    Options
    I have used a blow-dyer in the bottom vent that was the trick. You need to wait until the fire gets going a little and then bring the wind :laugh:

Oledog
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    The problem with the small is the draft door is too small! BGE won't own up to this, but, it's the same size as the draft door on the mini! I'll stick my neck out here and say that most "small" owners experience this same problem. There have been too many posts here regarding this and, no matter how you load your firebox, or with what lump you use, the small is very sluggish because of inadequate air flow.......
  • I made my lower vent larger by about one third, and didn't see any difference in the time it took to get to higher temperatures.

Damp old lump and a damp egg were the things that I finally got narrowed down to. After using the small for two weeks it lit just fine. When I went back to the large, it took a long time to get to temperature. Go figure! :)
  • egret
    Options
    Interesting! How did you make the lower vent larger?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    My rib notes will light a fire under everything, you should know.
    LOL

Mike
  • egret
    Options
    Yeah, right!! :laugh: I remember your indirect cook on your small in Omaha where you had your air flow almost completely blocked off!! :silly: If it hadn't been for the egret man taking quick and decisive action you wouldn't have a small BGE!!? :woohoo: :woohoo: And, all you have to talk about is your by-damn rib notes!!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Using this logic, the medium should get up to temp much more quickly than the large since the draft doors are the same for them, but this isn't the case.

I don't think it is the draft door, I think it is the firebox/fire grate design and airflow.

I modified my medium fire grate and now it is much quicker to temps than it was in the stock configuration. Still not quite as fast as the large to get to 350*+, but now it gets to those temps in under half the time.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    No no no, u stole my ribs notes. Lite them on fire, then a whole bottle of rub, a knife or two. Table space, we know about that.
    Your crazy dude about the small. You're a table, rub, knife prostitute. :woohoo: :woohoo:
    I defy anyone to suggest not. :ohmy:

Mike
  • Drilled it out with a decent drill bit which I ruined.

I used the draft door I got when I bought a new draft door (with spark screen) for the large. Trimmed the thing down and used the old one in the small. The hole was made longer toward the right side. After i drilled out the rough dimensions I smoothed the sides with the side of the drill bit. I also added six or eight holes to the fire box

It didn't do anything for the heat up time. and the hole is probably a third larger. At least 25%, but probably more.
  • egret
    Options
    Not sure I'm agreein' with you on the draft door! Yes, now I'm sure I'm not agreeing with you on the draft door. What about the firebox/grate configuration would cause this to happen as compared to other sizes? I tried a new fire grate in the small that a buddy from Houston sent me that was a wire mesh design with a very minimum of metal (much like a tight-knit chicken wire) and the results were the same! There just ain't enough air coming in the draft door......You can blame it on the firebox if you want....I'm not buying that logic.
    I'm curious to know what you did with the medium fire grate to help with this......
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Similar posts have been made here and I guess maybe I'm one of the lucky users...but my small is a towering inferno unless I choke it down! I stir whatever lump is left, making sure the holes in my cast iron floor grate are relatively clear and then dump in new lump to bring it up to 3" of the top of my fire ring. I add one Weber fire cube, light it, place my cast iron grate in and immediately close the dome. I set a timer for 12 minutes so as to go out and check and then seeing it OK at that point typically at 300 to 320 I set the alarm for another 6 minutes for 450 degrees or 10 minutes for a rip roaring 700.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egret
    Options
    Get a grip, Michael!! Boy, how you have things turned around! I've always shared my table space, even though it meant depriving myself and all fest customers of some great eats while you were promoting your ribbies.......they are pretty good, though, even if I say so myself! :laugh: But, do you need so much acreage to make it happen??
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I am using a piece of expanded metal that is about an inch or so larger in diameter than the fire grate and as such it sits higher in the box than the standard fire grate.

I don't have a small and have only cooked on one once, so I really can't argue with you about the nuances of it.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I have never had the low temp or sluggish heating problem!

I do clean my Small completely out...(yes removing the firebox to get the accumulated lump from behind) every couple of cooks.
    I believe the Small need to be clean to operate efficently!

You know Ron:

Seein's how you and I seem to be just fine,
    I'd have to come down on the side of "Operator Error" here!!
    Especially considering it's those Northern Georgia "Well to do Types" who are mainly to blame!!

Yep..."Operator Error"!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    ... you're just not to know!!

These things are to be learned...not just purchased!!

It'll come to you there GrassHopper!!

Just be patient..it'll come!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have two say neither of my smalls have taken any amount of time to come up to temp, but like you I do clean them out a lot more then I do my large eggs and the XL.

In grape boys case I think it's a loose nut between the egg and the ground..
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Operator error or as an IT guy once told me 'User Headspace Error'!..heh..I too am a lucky one I guess..my small has never given me any problem with getting up to temp fast...also..sometimes I cheat..I have an old 4cfm digiQ blower I stick in my small sometimes :blink: :woohoo:
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I have to stand up for John....albeit I am standing much taller...... :woohoo:

John does not sell himself therefore he is not a prostitute. ;)