Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buckboard bacon question

Lake Conroe Egger
Lake Conroe Egger Posts: 285
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've ordered the High Mountain cure and am looking for the meat. Plan on a loin and a butt. Question is - is the boneless butt just a butt with the bone cut out or is it further down the shoulder? Seems like it would get rather ragged by removing the the bone? Have only bought whole butts before.

Thanks for your help which I'm sure will be forthcoming.

Comments

• RE: butt. I bought boneless Boston Butt from the same store. I got a piece with no bone and another piece where the bone was cut out (you will see an example in the HM instructions).

It all tastes good.

GG
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Get the bone-in butt take the bone out in one piece with meat around it. Then cure and smoke this piecs also. I use it as bean seasoning. the bone comes out easily. have the faqt d=side down place your knife along the top part of the bone and follow it till it comes off.
    E
  • Cost being equal any reason to buy the bone in and take the time to cut it out?

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    That's a good question, and it could be either...

DSC07096.jpg

The "blade" bone in a butt is not that big, so it does come out rather easily, leaving a small pocket where it was removed.

Since it is a small bone, it only extends about halfway across a full size butt (7 to 9 pound range.) These were some 8 & 9 pound butts I cut in half for shorter cooking, I made one cut, leaving the bone in one half.

DSC06400JPGajpgaa.jpg

So, if you find a 6 pound + boneless butt, it most likely had the bone removed. If you see a 4 pound one, it may be the half without the bone, or the other half that was de-boned.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery