Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Damn! Dizzy Pig and Bottom Round. Damn!

The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Take one bottom round roast, coat liberally with Dizzy Pig Steak rub and turbinado sugar, cook about 90 minutes at 300-325. Damn![p]Damn,
TNW

The Naked Whiz

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz,
    I almost forgot, cooked to internal 127 degrees.[p]Damn,
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    The Naked Whiz,
    Sounds good! Just received a care package from Chris....10 various jars of the Dizzy seasonings, and some samplers for my BBQ friends![p]We'll have to try this recipe. Sounds quick and EZ![p]Not tonight, though. I have a pork shoulder that will be going on in a few hours.[p]Mike in MN

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    The Naked Whiz,[p]I'm about to throw some wings on the grill. These have been seasoned only with Swamp Venom. I'm going direct for the 300-325 range and then will toss with Franks Red Hot Buffalo wing sauce.[p]I'm in an extremely lazy mood this evening and am up for a rough week starting tomorrow night. I think I'll forgo sides altogether and stick with some Miller Lites as my sole accompaniement.[p]Heeee,
    Cornfed

• Mike in MN
    Cornfed,
    Ever cook those a little hotter, and maybe flip a little more? Then let the temp drop towards the end, and stack em as they are finishing? Although it's tough to get the temp down in the end because every time you open it to restack...all that oxygen creates more heat. Love those wings![p]I seem to cook the wings more like an old gas griller, in that I like a lot of heat, and a lot of flipping and attention to the cook.[p]Mike in MN[p]

• Cornfed
    Mike in MN,[p]You know, up until last weekend, I would have agreed with you. Also, I still MAY agree with you, but Dr. WooDoggies has added some doubt to my brain.[p]Over the past couple of years, my frequent wing cooks have evolved to the super simple relatively high temp/frequent flip method. Dr. Woo did some at Eggfest, though, where he went for a couple of hours at the 250* range. These were so good, I think he actually has me eeking towards lower rather than higher temps...[p]Thanks for the suggestion. I do wings so often that I will try higher, too, until I get to my ultimate wing nirvanna!!![p]
    A few more Miller Lites deep,
    Cornfed

• Mike in MN
    Cornfed,
    A couple of hours on low....Hmmm, might have to try that!
    I just received 10 misc. jars of Dizzy products, and I'm ready to go![p]Direct or indirect?[p]Mike in MN

• Cornfed
    Mike in MN,[p]I believe he went direct.[p]Over the past couple of years, I've really started doing everything direct. I know djm5x9 often advocates direct cooking. Further, he often advocates cooking direct in the upper dome by virtue of raised grids to take advantage of the effects of direct heat and the purported superior convection effects of cooking in the upper dome.[p]Being only a Small and Mini BGE owner, and not having a ton of fun accessories, over the past couple of years I've simply seriously tended towards managing my fires and hot spots and cooking direct on the grid for nearly everything (including butts and ribs). There are definitely some pros that go along with this! One does need to pay a bit more attention to hot spots and such, but then again there is no need to think about drip pans/fire bricks/inverted plate setters/extra grids/etc.[p]These are the issues in life I like to discuss and debate. Will my ribs be better direct or indirect? Foiled or not foiled? Sauce at the end or sauce during? Etc...[p]I'm trying to keep the stress in my life at work, while enjoying discussion/debates about the art and science of Q here.[p]Happy Saturday to you!!!
    Cornfed[p]
    Later,
    Cornfed

• The Naked Whiz
    Cornfed,
    I had a rather unfortunate incident involving wings in Charleston last summer. I ate too damn many. I think I ate about 40. I still can't look at them. Maybe in a year or two.....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Mike in MN,
    Yes, it was quick and easy. I am sooooo tired tonight I thought I'd just take a piece of beef, season it and smoke it. Great beef flavor, with smoke and DP.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Cornfed,[p]Hey Dave, I thought I'd finally caught up with the forum until I found this post..... glad you liked the dizzy legs. :~)[p]For my tastes, the slower cook works really well for the dark meat of chicken. I love it when the dark meat is almost falling off the bones.
    The legs you had were cooked at 230-250 for almost 2 hours then pumped up to 310 or so for the last bit to crisp the skin. [p]Unless they are brined or marinated, the slow cook wouldn't work so well for the breast.
    However, since white meat wings are wrapped in a nicely fatty skin, I have used the same slow method on them and have had really good results...... with the wings there's a finer line between done and overdone..... whereas the dark meat is a lot more forgiving.[p]Tonight I've got a bunch of legs cooking at 240 with a little plum wood..... 1/2 with tsunami spin and the other 1/2 with swamp venom.......... on the stove I have 3 lbs of braised short ribs simmering away in the dutch oven.......... I think I was born to eat.[p]Heeeee![p]John

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    One thing I forgot to add..... for the lower cook chicken, I only buy big fat legs and wings.... it doesn't seem to matter as much for the thighs.... which is my favorite cut of the chicken, by the way........

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    The Naked Whiz,
    Forty wings in one sitting? In Charleston? South Carolina I'm assuming? WILD WINGS CAFE!!! Love the place!!! DAMN, now I'm homesick... Mac