Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inagural Cook - My New Egg is Home!

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Everyone:[p]Well, the new demo egg from our first Eggfest is out of the car and since I couldn't wait for supper to get it fired up, I decided to do a couple of appetizers for lunch: [p]Dizzy Pig's Jamacian Firewalk Wings
Drizzled wings with olive oil and sprinkled heavily with rub. Turned every 10-15 minutes and cooked direct at 300° - 325°. MMMMmmmmm![p]Fontina Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
Drizzled with herb and garlic infused olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Added cracked garlic pepper, fresh chopped rosemary, and sliced fontina cheese. Put them on while the wings were cooking, no more than one flip (10-15 minutes). Killer good! If you haven't done stuffed portabella mushrooms, they are AWESOME![p]I love my new egg!
Tonia[p]

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    QBabe,[p]Those mushrooms sound great. I have done portabellos before but not with the fontina etc. that you used. I may have to add that to the mom's day list of things to cook. Glad that you got home safely with your new egg. See you at the next eggfest.[p]Chuck

• QBabe
    Chuck,[p]It was good to meet you and we'll DEFINATELY be at the next one! Now that I know what to expect, I've already got some ideas of what I want to cook. We sure had fun![p]Tonia
    :~)

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    QBabe,
    It was a pleasure meeting you guys..Sally says Hi also...good luck with your new toy, we`ll see ya next year..keep us updated on your cooks..[p]Wess

• QBabe
    WessB,[p]Great to meet you guys too! Say hi back to Sally for me...[p]Since we missed out on a 10 days of egging, I've got all kinds of things lined up for today and tomorrow....already did wings and stuffed portabellas. [p]Next up are some sea scallops wrapped in bacon with Raging River rub around 5pm, then some salmon fillets (Larry had to have some after Nature Boy did them at Eggfest), also with Raging River and the maple syrup and butter glaze.[p]Picked up some grouper fillets too that I have to do something with....anybody got suggestions?[p]I just HAD to try the stuffed flank steak of Mad Max's, so tomorrow I'm going to try it, but I'm going to give it a twist...first, I'm going to rub with olive oil and sprinkle with a liberal dose of Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub, then instead of the peppers, I'm going to stuff mine with shallots, portabella mushroom slices, and goat cheese mixed with herbs and garlic. [p]Y'all be good!
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

• QBabe
    Smokin' Todd,[p]Hey, Todd. It was good partying with you too. We had a blast![p]Tonia

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    QBabe,
    I agree, the portabella mushrooms are WONDERFUL! Marinate or season however, throw 'em on, slice 'em up, and everybody is happy! We are talking success stories![p]Mike in MN[p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    QBabe,
    As a Salmon lover, I have noted the mention of the Dizzy maple syrup/butter recipe.....yet no one has posted the specifics....Any hints as to how this little treat is produced? For those of us not lucky enough to make it to the festival to sample this.. Any insight??[p]Thanks!!
    Mike in MN

• QBabe
    Mike in MN,[p]I haven't seen an actual recipe for it, but I think it had Raging River rub on it and toward the end of the cook, he poured a hot maple syrup and melted butter mix on the pieces...[p]QBabe
    :~)[p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Glad to hear you made it home safely with the new toy, Tonia! It was great partying with you and Larry in Waldorf and I hope we all get to do it again soon![p]Jim
  • QBabe
    JSlot,[p]Hi Jim, it was good to meet you and spend time with you too. That car was packed so tight and full to the brim, we could hardly see out the back window! But the prize was worth it! My new egg just shined yesterday for all the cooks, and that Maple Leaf lump that you got for us has got to be the best smelling lump I've ever tried and the flavor was wonderful.[p]I'm getting ready to do a couple of beef roasts this morning to slice up and use for sandwiches for lunches through the week. And, later this afternoon (can't let that new cooker cool off, can I?) will be trying the stuffed and rolled flank steak...[p]The skys are blue and there is a warm breeze here. Looks like a great day for egging![p]Mornin' irish coffee's to ya,
    Tonia

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    QBabe,
    Congratulations! And it's easy to see you're putting your prize to excellent use.[p]Ken

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Mike in MN,[p]Clicking the link will take you to NB's salmon.... it is, to say the least, very very good.
    Scroll up through the link for photos.[p]John[p]

[ul][li]Chris's recipe for Salmon[/ul]
  • QBabe,
    quite the list you have here. . .you must be running both eggs at full throttle. . .can i come over???? :-)[p]can't wait to hear how your mods to the basic flank steak recipe turn out. . .for other mods go up and see joel ferman's entry entitle "modified". . .and see what he did to the recipe as well. . .must say, the two favorite parts of this w/ my family are the prociutto and peppers. ..but somethng tells me that using the mushrooms (maybe in addition to peppers?) will add a really earthy flavor to the mix.. ..remember, if you marinade the steaks, they will already be pretty heavily infused with olive oil, so not sure what rubbing more on will do for them, but again, i can't wait to hear how they turn out. . .[p]and if you read joel and jslot, they both did them direct. ..so definitely give that a try, instead of in a dish like i did them.. . .[p]good luck, it was great meeting you at the fest. ...looking forward to hearing results tomorrow or the next day. . .[p]best[p]max