Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish temps? Satay Tuna ala Sublime Smoke

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking tuna steaks (1") at 225 degrees tonight and wonder what inner temp I should achieve for a medium rare cook? Does any one know of a comprehensive chart for food temps on the net I might find?[p]Thanks, Stuart

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Stuart, here is a link for about everything but fish! Maybe someone else can add the fish table!

[ul][li]Grilling and Smoking Food Safely[/ul]
  • Stuart
    Options
    Thanks Gordon, hopefully someone will know soon, the fish is on the grill now, been 5 minutes, I may just have to cook it based on the recipes time guideline. I was hoping to do it by temp so I could use my newest egg toy, an electric cooking thermometer with remote sensor.

• Stuart
    Options
    Thanks Gordon, hopefully someone will know soon, the fish is on the grill now, been 5 minutes, I may just have to cook it based on the recipes time guideline. I was hoping to do it by temp so I could use my newest egg toy, an electric cooking thermometer with remote sensor.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    WireLessThermometer.jpg
    <p />Stuart, hope yours works better than mine! About the only fish that I have ever done was done as...[p]"I did 8 minutes per side at 350 (JJ's instructions [10 minutes per side per inch of thickness] - thanks JJ) - at the half way mark I merely popped another grid on top and rotated both -- unfortunately I don't have a fish basket. When I took them off the grid, I thought I could just use a spatula - wrong -- the halibut just kind of fell apart. Both were great."[p]Good luck!

[ul][li]Remote Thermometer[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    homer2.gif
    <p />Stuart,[p]Being a midwesterner for 25 yrs before coming to the east coast - I never developed a strong love of fish. I tried a few recipes at 250 and in that area on the Egg. Never was I happy with the results until I tried 325-250 deg. I like that blackened crust personally and adding Char-Crust is really nice for that "blackend" taste. Try whatever sounds good to you and adjust on the next try to improve to your likes. I have read some recipes that sound more like sushi (sp?). Enjoy[p]
    Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Stuart,
    Smoke and Spice seems to specify everything at 200-225. Tuna is a lean cut, and tends to dry out when cooked past medium rare. I would cook tuna at higher temps to get a good sear, without cooking the middle too much. Like Tim mentioned "sushi", a lot of people eat it rare, and it is quite good. If you want some smoke flavor, a very low 150 degree smoke for 10 or 15 minutes ahould flavor it without cooking.[p]What did you end up doing, and how did it turn out???
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Stuart,[p] Couldn't find a site that had fish as well as meat. HOwever, I did find at least one place that recommended cooking to 140-145 internal to get flake fish. Keep in mind, however, that there is more than one kind of fish. I would say that the 140-145 thing is good for most standard whitefish, but not good for very lean fish like tuna (steaks) and marlin, e.g. When I first started cooking marlin and tuna, I ended up with a few huge pieces of "bubble gum" before I learned to leave the middle red. Now I'm one of those that likes it almost like crusty sushi.[p]MikeO