Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ball Tip

Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1-1-1.jpg?
<p />Ball Tip, or bottom sirloin, is very similar to the popular Tri Tip. It is the end of the muscle directly under the Tri Tip, and cut from the face of the sirloin. It looks like a half of a small soccer ball and wieghs in at approx 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. It can be grilled whole, ala London Broil, or cut into steaks. I prefer cooking it whole and slicing thin against the grain. [p]This particular piece was cooked direct using hickory to an internal temp of 130°, approx 45 minutes. It is still nice and rare. It was crusted with Kosher Salt, granulated garlic, my own pepper mixture and injected with a watered down Dale's Sauce. Tasty.

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Rumrunner,
    <drooling> That is one sight for sore eyes. "I only have eyes for youuuuuuuuuu" I sing.
    If that tasted half as good as it looks you must be a happy camper!
    Is that cut as rare to find as a tri tip?
    ST
    [/b]
  • Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Smokin' Todd,
    Yes, I'm afraid it is. If you see a store advertising "petite sirloin steaks" or "filet of sirloin steaks", then you are headed in the right direction. Ask them for the whole piece before cutting. Alberton's, in my area, is always pushing them but I don't like Select grade meat. The ball tip, in my opinion, needs to be a good grade of Choice or higher. A good butcher shop will be able to get them, but you may have to buy a whole bag, approx 20 - 25 pounds worth. They freeze well, tho.