Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need expert advise

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Am looking to replace my current grill, my search has me seriously considering this as an option, but need feedback: I would be using this device on a balcony where I currently use a gas grill. Would smoke prove to be more of an "issue" than what I currently deal with? grateful for thoughts on what I hope is not a stupid question
Pauluna

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Pauluna,
    Welcome, can you tell us how high the ceiling is???
    Is it a house or more like an apartment building??? That will help the forum members to advise you.[p]I have a covered patio but it's not flat, peaked in the center. I have my egg's sitting on the concrete and there is about 6 and 1/2 feet from the top of my large egg to the ceiling. The patio is opened so the breeze usually blows the smoke out the side.[p]Hope that may help a little,
    New Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    New Bob,[p]its a condo balcony--12ft approx to the roof. I currently have a full sized gas grill positioned right at the rail of the balcony and can stay out there and cook without being overcome with smoke--ventilation is pretty decent. Need a new grill, am a fairly accomplished cook and want to expand my grilling repertoire, thus my research on grill shas lead me to this. I am just unfamiliar with the functionality of the egg (was thinking the medium would be sized jsut right for my needs).pauluna
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Pauluna,
    If the condo rules don't say anything about what type of fuel you barbecue uses I don't think you would have a problem. You have already been cooking out there and it doesn't sound like anyone is complaining. If the balcony floor is wood you might need a fireplace mat under it because sometime embers will come out the lower vent.[p]Others will chime in with their thoughts so hold on for bit or check back. Some may still be at work.[p]Read this forum often, lots of great help here no matter what your cooking on.[p]A great weekend to you,
    New Bob

• Unknown
    Options
    Pauluna,
    The only problem I can see is if you will have enough room for all the new friends you will have when they smell the smoke
    Woodman2

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Pauluna, there will probably be about the same, or even less smoke than you are used to with a gas grill. This is because you don't have the flare-ups and burning grease on the egg like you usually have on a gas grill.[p]You will have some heavier smoke if you are actually smoking something with wood chips at a low temperature but, in general, anything you cooked on a gas grill will not have any more smoke by cooking on the BGE.
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Pauluna,
    I have my egg on my back patio under an 8' high metal patio cover. I notice some stains on the top but the heat coming out of the top of the egg shouldn't be a problem with 12' ceilings. Since you're already using a gas grill on the balcony, I don't see where the egg would be a problem. As Bob suggested, get a mat of some sort to go under/by the front vent of the egg and either build a table or use the nest as to raise the bottom of the egg off the floor as the bottom does get hot. Otherwise, you should have no problems.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Pauluna,
    You will have to set the egg on a concrete patio stone, or in an egg basket to keep the bottom directly off the wood. Also, as mentioned, you want something below the bottom vent to catch any sparks or small pieces of burning lump that sometimes falls out.[p]The outside of the egg is cooler than a gas grill. Unless you are searing a steak, you can normally touch the egg without a problem. [p]The egg is a wonderful cooking device. There is a learning curve, but it is well worth the effort. Way more flexible than a gas grill.[p]Mike in MN