Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT--How to pronounce "vidalia"

Options
IndependentGrocer
IndependentGrocer Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you don't live in Georgia, you're probably pronouncing a great onion the wrong way. Of all the food shows on tv, only Paula Deen says it right. Here's the breakdown:

vie+dale+yuh

Vie- rhymes with die or dye
dale- as in Dale Ernhardt
yuh- rhymes with duh

So now you know! :woohoo:

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    yup, that's what the lady said. Have fun with this site!
    http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php?sitepal
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well at least audrey from the uk can say my name right none of the others can :laugh:

they all say bent :laugh:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• PineyWoodsBrewer
    Options
    Amen!
    Rex in Box Springs GA.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    hey Terry - How about Fiona (Scottish)? I think she's closest.

Mike
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    I pro-nouns-it Onion!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    You know you're in the South when diction is explained with a reference to #3! :)

And for those outside Georgia, the fields near the city of Vidalia are so fragrant that even after harvest, you can drive through with the windows down and your car will be "perfumed."
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    mike i don't know how i missed her :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I just pronounce it "Kim"
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    You're gonna fit in around here just fine!

Of course, you have to know when you're IN "the south." As far as I can tell, only one way - order some iced tea...if you get a question back, you're in "the south."

Sweet or un-sweet....man, I miss that!! :laugh: ;) :(
  • 2EggTim
    2EggTim Posts: 170
    Options
    Like where they have the Big Pig Jig each October in Vienna, Georgia.

Pronounced:

Vi - rhymes with dye
    enna - sounds like anna
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    In the true South there is no question. If you order tea you get sweet tea.

You have to specify unsweet, and a lot of places don't even have it. A rumor has it that one time a fella ordered unsweet tea and the diner claimed they didn't know how to make it.

And if you order "iced tea" they just look at you funny.
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Options
    I use 1015 onions, but it never occurred to me that someone would mispronounce them.

I guess someone could call them "one zero one five" or "one thousand fifteen" or "one oh one five", but we'll stick with "ten fifteen" because that's the date the Aggies at Texas A&M say is the optimal date to plant them.
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Funny, cuz after 3 years living in Memphis...and travelling the likes of Tupelo, Muscle Shoals, Chatanooga, Jackson, Macon, Savanah, all through the Delta, et al...I ALWAYS got the question.

I'm with ya though, cuz in my mind, there is NO question - it's sweet or flee!

Fidel wrote:
    In the true South there is no question. If you order tea you get sweet tea.

You have to specify unsweet, and a lot of places don't even have it. A rumor has it that one time a fella ordered unsweet tea and the diner claimed they didn't know how to make it.

And if you order "iced tea" they just look at you funny.