Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DigiQ II Temp Issue

Options
Midnight Smoker
Midnight Smoker Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I originally tried posting my issue on the BBQ Guru web site tech support forum. The only real response was to call them and not rely on the forum. I've left a message and I'm waiting to hear back. But in the meantime I figured I'd tap into this large body of knowledge since I know this product can perform well.

First of all I tested the calibration of both my XL dome thermometer and the pit probe for the DigiQ. Dome thermo read ~210. Close enough for guvment work. I made sure the ramp mode was off on the DigiQ and hooked up just the pit probe, made sure it was seated and placed in the boiling water, making sure it was not touching the bottom of the pan. It took about 10 minutes for the temperature on the DigiQ to read out 209. Is this normal? I figured I'd get much quicker response.

On to the egg now. Hooked up the fan and attached the pit probe to the dome thermometer and fired it up. I set a pit temp of 250. The fan ran periodically and the DigiQ readout made it to 250 and the fan stopped as expected, but my dome thermometer only read 210, which I confirmed with a Maverick ET-73.

I powered it down, took it all apart and re-assembled in case something was not seated properly. This time the fan ran continuously. The temp on the dome thermometer was 280 and climbing, but the DigiQ was only reading out 130. At this point I took it off and just cooked the old fashioned way.

I know this is a great tool and really want to use it effectively, but something is amiss.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    I would tryswapping the probe out for the food probe and see if it might be a probe problem. If the same thing happens try using the food port instead of the pit and see if it is the port.

Narrowing it down will let you call and have some answers to get it fixed quicker.
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    I agree with Bobby. Try swapping probes and see what happens. If that corrects things, you have a faulty pit probe. Please call me 1 800 288 4878 ext. 207. Sarah and I are here everyday and I honestly have no email or message from you. If our forum moderators (which are Guru users not employees) can not troubleshoot your problem, they will instruct you to call us at the factory for tech support.

Thanks,
    Bob Trudnak
    Marketing Manager
    The BBQ Guru
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Bob (and Bobby), I'll give the probe swap a try and then give you a call with the results. Might be a couple of days, we have some nasty weather that's supposed to roll through today.

I called the 1-800 number and left a voice mail on the technical support line on 2/5, around 10 AM or so central time. I figured you were swamped and would get to me at some point. I know how customer support can be!! Glad you responded here, otherwise I wouldn't know that my message when off into the ether...
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I use the ET-73 & the q2 at the same time. I try to keep probes on both units within 1" or less of each other. I seemed to get a 10° to 30° difference on the pit probes.

I decided to check both in boiling water. The ET-73 tested fine.

I had a real hard time getting the q2 pit probe to test properly in boiling water. I thought it was just me.

The q2 finally read 210° and I called that good.

In use the two units still have a difference in readouts.

GG