Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib for a (small) crowd ?

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]Planning to do a Prime Rib this weekend for Mothers day. Total will be 6 adults. Last time I did this, it was just the two of us, and I bought a two-bone roast, and we ended up with leftovers. How large of a roast do I need for six adults - three bone or four ? Think three HUNGRY guys and three ladies.[p]Planning to rub with cow-lick, kosher salt, and coarse fresh ground pepper the day before, then go direct for three minutes a side at 600 to sear, then indirect at 325 bone-side-down til I hit an internal of 125 for medium rare. Last time I did this, I pulled at 130+ and it jumped 10 degrees by the time we ate, and was cooked more than I would have liked. Any additions / changes to my technique ? Any idea how long it will take ?[p]Cheers -[p]Mike[p]

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]I like a good crust as much as anyone (maybe more!) but if your the curious sort you may want to go take a look at the "Cooks Illustrated" on "The Perfect Roast". Or better yet, check out Harold McGee's book: "On Food and Cooking" Both of these sources have some fascinating info on searing roasts.[p]As it turns out, many are advocating roasting first and searing last! The sear comes more from a hotter roasting area than a direct sear.[p]Either way, with that meat and your egg, it's goona be good![p]Have fun, and good eating!
    bc

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]definitely go with the 3 rib. . .better to have too much than too little. . .like your rub idea. . my only comment would be on the sear. . .i did one recently in the egg, where i put it in a pan bone down, had the egg at 500 degrees. .. as soon as i put it in the egg, i closed the vents way down till i hit operating temps in the 325 range. . .left it alone till done. . .took about 2 hours even for a two boner, so i would imagine around 3 for yours. . .the time in at 500 provided a nice seal to the meat (even if it wasn't 'seared'. .. there wasn't enough juice in the pan to fill a shot glass. .. [p]good luck, i'm sure it'l be excellent. .[p]max
  • SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    bc,[p]AMEN! That is the only way I've ever done a rib roast, and it'll take a lot of convincing for me to change my method. As far as I'm concerned, there is really no such thing as searing in the juices.[p]Alton Brown did a nice demo of this technique with an extra-large flower pot. Click the link.[p]Also, I like the McGee reference.
    [ul][li]Good Eats Rib Roast[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Here is a link to Stogie's post on rib roast. I have done the KEVI'S KING OF THE ROASTS several times and it is great.[p]Hope your dinner comes out well no matter what method you use.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob
    P.S. Thanks Stogie

[ul][li]Stogie's rib roast recipe's[/ul]
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Three rib instead of four? I am presuming four rib will be way too much. I really don't want to have leftovers, because I have never been a fan of reheated prime rib - it just isn't the same. Maybe there is a technique there to reheat but I don't know what it is. For the price I think I would rather have a good new steak on night two instead of leftovers.[p]Cheers to you -[p]Mike[p]

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    bc,[p]Hey! I read your post and SSDawg's reply, and I understand the idea is to heat/sear at the end of the process. Unfortunately, I don't have those books, which may have my answers, but your reply brought up a couple of questions (pardon my ignorance). I did take note of the books, and may head over to Amazon.com, but I likely won't get them before the weekend.[p]1. Do I still do the final heat/sear indirect? Does it matter direct vs indirect ? [p]2. If I am planning to pull at say 125, at what point should I bump the temp? 110? 115? I don't want to overshoot it, and at 500 degress I'm afraid I'm gonna melt my polder. Do you have a good method for this ?[p]Sorry for the paranoia - it's an expensive hunk-o-beef. :-)[p]Appreciate the reply.[p]Cheers to you -[p]Mike[p]

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Thanks! That rub sounds really good, plus simple and I have all the ingredients here. May mix it up and give it a taste. I hadn't really thought about going at such a low temp (200), but I can't see any disadvantage to doing it at that temp versus my initial guesstimate. I guess it all depends on how long I want to be on the porch drinking beer and smoking stogies.......[p]Aahhh, the dilemma! [p]Cheers- [p]Mike

• SSDawg
    SSDawg Posts: 69
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Try taking the meat off at 125, then waiting until the roast temp stabalizes. Meanwhile, bump up the heat in the egg. Then, put the roast back on the egg, direct, and sear the outside.[p]Here is a link to the actual Good Eats show transcript where he uses a similar technique, but in an oven. This is not just the recipe, but the whole 30 minute show.
    [ul][li]Standing Rib Roast[/ul]