Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

couple weekend cooks

Options
tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Playing some more with the xl. Did steaks and asparagus friday night. Note to self, keep the cast iron skillet as close as possible to the lump while blackening for best affect. Finished the steaks to temp in the dome. Shrooms in the foil pouch.

lumpbucketwithblackenedribeyesfirst.jpg

lumpbucketsteakandasparagus.jpg

Today, slow smoked a 6.5 pound brisket flat. On at 6 am, Hit the first shot off #1 at 8:40 for a lazy 18 holes.....gotta love the egg and guru combo - no worries.

Pulled the flat around 5pm, 1.5 hours in the cooler. So tender, it cut with a fork. Split down the middle when slicing.

brisketflatwithpointflatside.jpg

Ever wonder how important the point is to a brisket's tenderness and moistness. Check the bottom side of the brisket flat as some of the point was still present. Pics are the same flat, just 180 degree shots. Juicy!

t

brisketflatwithsomepoint.jpg
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Dang you do some good brisket flats. Golf, not yet up here. Hope you didn't 3 putt to many times.

Mike
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    That brisket looks really good. What did you season with? Just got to see the new
    Cyber Q II in action at the Lake Havasu egg event. It's very impressive.

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01700.jpg
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    Options
    HI TOM WHAT PREP WORK AND COOKING TEMP PLANNING ON DOING MY 1ST BRISKET AROUND THE SAME POUNDS.LOOKS GREAT AND I KNOWN IT MUST HAVE TASTED GREAT.

THANKS
    AL
  • probie
    probie Posts: 102
    Options
    Hey with that Cyber Q II can You make adjustment with the temps from your computer?
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Great looking brisket and preferred T time. Just doesn’t get any better.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • tjv
    Options
    1. raised grid indirect set up with rig: grid on top, 11x15 pan on 3.0 middle bracket and 14" bge stone on 1.5 lowest bracket. guru set to 230ish grid temp with probe on front end of grid over pan

2. Sams club 6.5 pound choice grade flat. try to find one with even thickness across entire flat. I don't like to go below 5.5 pounds on flats and always choice grade.

3. wash flat and give quick smell test. trim the fat strings off the top side. thin real fatty areas on fat cap side but still leave some fat protecting meat.

4. for spicy flavor use worchester sauce as a coating before rub. rudy's rub on this one.

5. smoked with 3 small chunks of pecan.

6. when flat hit the plateau, 165ish internal temp, foiled and finished to 200 degrees.

7 rested in cooler for 1.5 hours and sliced against grain. forgot to put fat cap side up in cooler.

I think the big keys with brisket is meat selection, hitting the internal temp and letting it rest.
  • tjv
    Options
    31 front nine, 41 back nine for a smooth 72. funny thing back nine is my nine.....still having problems keeping it in the fairway off the tee....front nine fairway, back nine not so much.

t
  • tjv
    Options
    dang big print on that screen.
    Rudy's pecan rub.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
  • AL
    AL Posts: 81
    Options
    TOM THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO ME. YOUR ARE JUST AS GREAT AS YOUR PRODUCTS.
    AL
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Yes, Kenny (forum name "Hatch")can give you the details.