Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DiGi Qll

kolbdriver
kolbdriver Posts: 403
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Somebody splain this to me, please. I am cooking ribs again with the DiGi ll pit probe clipped to the dome thermometer. The dome reads 285 the Guru reads dead on 250. I have checked both in boiling water, they read the same, 212F. How come? Ribs are always outstanding. I am not going to change anything, just wondering..

Comments

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    I seen that before I just set the DiGi to give the dome temp I want
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    My bge thermo does the same thing. Calibrated at 212. It seems to get worse the hotter it gets. Thats checked against a tru tel.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Mine will start out differant temps sometimes as yours does but after 20 or 30 min. IF I DON'T POP THE TOP will read the same. I think one just reacts quicker than the other. Hows the job? Heard even ya'll had shut down at least one tower. Just day to day for us. West tower went down last week! :( Getting the money while the getting is good now days!
  • Hey J, Yea we shut down the west plant tower, and going to shut down the east plant next week because ya'll are shutting down the Marysville field and plant, that is where we get brine for our East plant. South Plant still strong, for now. Like you said just day to day. Lots of roomers going around..

C-YA
  • Mine does the same thing. Starts out at different temps, but after 30 mins or so, they read the same.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Same here on the different temp. I not sure of a real answer for you. It kinda makes you think, but I just got to where I go just off Guru temp when using it and dont pay to much attention to the egg dome thermo. Theres a lot of technology packed into this little thing. I called them with a few temp and user questions about a week ago. I dont know if you noticed or not but with mine if I set it to 230, it will go up to 225 and then jump to 230. Guru guy refered to it as the snap feature. Something in the software so when it gets within 5 degrees it automaticly "snaps" to your setpoint. This prevents it from overshoot. These guys really have their stuff togeather. You got yourself a nice peice of equipment, enjoy it!
  • Nucman
    Nucman Posts: 59
    I got my DiGi QII on Friday. WOW!!! Is this thing amazing or what? I played with it for a while Saturday to get to know it. I Had no problems with it. The temp on the dome thermo and the Guru"s pit probe were fairly close. They both check out in boiling water right at 211*-212*. I checked it with my thermapen. I was skeptical about this thing but I'm glad I got over it. I've done two cooks with it since Friday and I am looking forward to lots more!

I have my pit probe cable going in through the port hole of my LBGE under the daisy wheel thing-a-ma-jig. and clamped onto the dome thermo. Is that the best way to have it set up? Thanks in advance. Here's a couple shots of my temps.

Temp from my Guru while cooking Ribs
    DSC_7605.jpg

Temp from dome thermo @ same time
    DSC_7608.jpg
  • I have been putting mine on the grate close to whatever it is I'm cooking.