Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer butt chicken

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do you prefer to cook beer butt chicken direct or indirect??? I usually do mine indirect at 250° using Brant's Brined Beer-Butt Bird recipe which is always a hit with guest. [p]Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Love Handles
    Love Handles Posts: 253
    Options
    New Bob,
    I do mine direct and at about 225-250. Rub with olive oil and dust with Dizzy Dust or Ken Stones rub, put a wedge of onion in the neck of the chicken. I use my thermapen and take them off at about 160. Works great all the time. I don't see how chicken could be much better. See-Yaa

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    LoveHandles,
    About how long when doing direct do you cook the bird???
    Hope you enjoyed the Laughlin run, I have friends that went last year but not this year.[p]Keep Egg-en,
    New Bob C-ya HeeHeeHeeeeee

• David
    David Posts: 97
    Options
    LoveHandles, when do you apply your rub? I find that much of the taste is burned away after an hour or so. Do you re-apply near the end?

• Love Handles
    Options
    David,
    Sorry for being late getting back, but I've been gone motorcycling for a couple of days. I put lots of rub on before putting on the egg, but so far have never put more on after cooking started, but it probably would be a good idea. See-Yaa

• Love Handles
    Options
    New Bob,
    I usually cook for about 1 1/2 hrs at about 225-250 or until thigh meat gets to about 160 degrees. Sorry about not getting back sooner. Went on another M/C ride to Yuma Arizona--See-Yaa