Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thinking of buying a large Big Green Egg

Options
Teachers Pet
Teachers Pet Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been looking into purchasing a large Big Green Egg and I came across a couple of internet sites that sell Eggs and will ship them for free. Does anyone have any knowledge of these dealers, because their prices seem to be cheaper than I've seen at the store. Here are the links. www.halcogrills.com and www.hearthsidedistibutors.com --Thanks.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    You will have no warranty and will cost more in the long run
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    Internet = no warranty. Buy local now before you wish you did later.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The Egg lifetime warranty is extremely important. Hoever, it is not available on used eggs (demo eggs from authorized dealers expempt), or on eggs sold via internet.

Eggs are not problematic, but many of us have enjoyed the lifetime warranty repairs/replacements.

You will love your egg and welcome to the forum.

GG
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    The warranty can come in handy if you have a problem and the local dealer can be a + when you have questions.

As far as the egg now, that is something you will enjoy and use more often than you think. WELCOME :)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Teachers Pet, where do you live? Halcogrills is a great place, it happens to be about 5 miles from my house, picked up both my eggs there, but if you are not close enough to do that, I am sure you can find a dealer closer to avoid the warranty problems stated above.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Can anyone explain how these online dealers are getting access to BGE's at wholesale costs to be able to sell them to end users and still be profitable ?

Are authorized dealers setting up secondary businesses under different names ?
  • YankeeRob
    Options
    Found a large on Craig's list for $300. Was used twice. The guy couldn't figure it out and gave up on it. Got a medium for the same price but it was used extensively. The guy almost cried when I took it away. He made me promise that if I sell it I would give him first wack.

Anyway, with all that money saved I went to the ceramicgrillstore.com and beefed my unit up so it can cook competition brisket and pork in a single smoke. 2009 is going to rock!

-rob
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    CuriousEgger, if you are a forum member, why not use your forum handle?

After some recent it seems that issue is something for the dealer/distributer & HQ to hash out, that is if that horse is worth chasing.

As a user, it seems to be wise to support any local dealer if at all possible. Not having the warranty is an important issue for me.

With the warranty issues I have needed, I would guess I am equal or ahead buying from my local dealer vs the perceived savings from an online purchase. I still have the lifetime warranty enforce.

GG
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Everyone should support their local economy as much as they can. But saying the lifetime warranty is a must have is false security especially now. You can not predict if the store you purchased from will even be in business this time next year. Local is always BEST but with this economy it is also just as risky.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Yes the warranty is honored at the dealer, however, BGE has also honored the warranty directly. I hope my local dealer is still handling eggs but if by chance they don't I have full confidence BGE will support me.

Of course the warranty is useless if one never needs it.

"Local is always BEST but with this economy it is also just as risky."

A local dealer may be more stable than an online supplier.

As of this point in time, there are no on-line dealers according to BGE.

Nevertheless, it is a decision each of us has to make.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Options
    DrZaius,

The lifetime warranty is from BGE. My dealer sold their business for the assets only. After that happened, I thought about my warranty because all of my eggs were bought from them and I never even saw a warrantee card. I contacted BGE Canada and asked about it. They advised me that they had my information and I was fully covered.
    That is obviously the spirit and business practise of BGE.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    At least one of those dealers (Halco) mentioned in the initial post here is (at least I thought :ohmy: ) an authorized local dealer, I am now wondering if something has changed down there with this on-line situation; the store is one of those extremely high-end grill suppliers, you know the kind, they sell the $9,000 gas grill/outdoor kitchen/all the bells & whistles combination, type... things :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ; amidst all that crap is a beautiful oasis of BGE's, a few tables, some lump & a bunch of accessories
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    oh sure, if you can get that good of a deal then even I would have to seriously consider "self insuring" my risks. OTOH the urban legend idea of finding an incredible BGE buy due to the utter stupidity of an owner or a real hardship doesn't or shouldn't keep a potential buyer waiting, wanting and waiting some more. As we all know the egg is not infallible and our firebox is going to crack and eventually fall to pieces and maybe the fire ring too which are replacements via the "lifetime" coverage. Those replacements make believers out of us who go through the proper channel of authorized dealers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can get those prices from a dealer. I heard the prices were supposed to go up in January and don't know if it happened. I bought my Mini in November or December and paid $241. Halco's price was $240. I bought my large almost 3 years ago and paid $625 which is the best price I've heard of for a Large. Some dealers will throw in an Ash Tool (you need one) and/or a bag of lump. I had to pay for mine but still I can't complain.

re: the warrantee - I toasted my gasket in day 4 or 5, called the mothership and they sent a replacement right away. Over time it's not unusual for a firebox to develop cracks and if you find yours is like a jigsaw puzzle, you might want to replace it. That's covered but shipping is not so you want to get your dealer to order it for delivery when he's getting a large shipment in so the shipping costs will disappear. You never know what's going to happen