Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork chops lacking decent rub

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made pork chops tonight. They came out pretty good. I used some Jamaican jerk seasoning that I had laying around the house. It is now in the garbage. It wasn't horrible but it wasnt very good. Normally when I do jerk anything I make a wet rub from scratch. I added some brown sugar and salt to the outside of the chops due to the fact that I wasn't sure about the rub. If anyone knows of a good spice jerk rub let me know.

DSCF0913.jpg

They did however turn out to be edible :P

DSCF0915.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I've never tried it, but Rick's Tropical Delight was very fond of Pusser's brand jerk seasoning.

Here is a link to one of his old posts with a photo of the rubs. Reminds me I want to find some myself. I bought some Pusser's Rum on his recommendation and it is quite good.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=316866&catid=1

And a link to the product:

http://store.pussersstore.com/jesepohot.html

Disclaimer: I have no relation to anyone who may profit from any transactions that occur between any forum users and any manufacturer's, distributors, or retailers of products mentioned or referred to in this thread, nor do I stand to profit directly or indirectly in any way from any such transaction.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    If I were to use a rub, it would probably be Jamacian fire walk, or Dizzy Dust from dp.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Harleydog77,your chops look great. Sorry the taste wasn’t what you were looking for. I have good luck with John Henry”s Sugar Maple rub. Just right for any pork. Not the jerk seasoning you ask about but one that works real well on loins and chops. Good luck. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Harleydog77,

Did you like the results with the meat aside from the rub?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hamilton
    Hamilton Posts: 115
    Options
    Maybe a bit too much rub for my taste, but those look real good.
  • Harleydog77
    Options
    Yeah they were really nice porkchops. I'm glad I added brown sugar to the outside. There was some really tasty carmelization. they were very juicy.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Looks like the finnal product was cooked well. I have to walk a very fine line around my shack. I love spice but the wife can't take it. She can take DP's Swamp Venium better than most. Give it a try some time. Not a true jerk but has a nice spicey flavor that works well with pork.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    As i look around I'm thinking I must be a real dork because everyone is making reference to rubs that are purchased. Maybe as I do this more I will settle in to something else, but for now I bought a book called "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

It has a recipe for Jamaican Jerk Rub:
    6 Tblsp onion powder
    6 Tblsp onion flakes
    2 Tblsp ground allspice
    2 Tblsp cayenne
    2 Tblsp sugar
    4 1/2 teasp dried thyme
    4 1/2 teasp ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 teasp ground nutmeg
    1/4 teasp ground habanero chile (optional)

Watch out for the habanero, don't get it on your hands! If you have left overs you can store the blend in a ziploc for a couple of months.

I figure this way I can control the heat to a certain extent.