Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef jerky

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,452
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2nd attempt at beef jerky using Hi Mountain sweet and spicy cure.

used lumps in bottomless coffee can with hickory chips. temp held nicely around 170F.
Picture001.jpg

three mismatched grids separated by SS bolts and gasser's lava replacement fire stones.
Picture003.jpg

done after 5+ hours.
Picture004.jpg
canuckland

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I wanna make some on Sunday. I bought Hi Mountain wild goose original blend. Instructions say round or flank steak, think I'll go with round steak. This will be my first time.
    Your jerky looks great. :cheer:
  • Canugghead
    Thanks Clay Q. I used lean top sirloin roast because I had a few in the freezer, not ideal because of some marbles. Next time I'll use round roast. Also, once the HiMountain seasoning/cure runs out I'll try experimenting different recipes.
    canuckland
  • The end results look very good. How was the texture and taste.

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Looks like you did a great job on the jerky. I always have way to many duck fellets each year and end up making jerky out of a lot of them. Actually really good. ;)
  • Canugghead
    Thanks GG. I like the taste but again I've never tried a different seasoning yet. Kids and friends love it but better half, as usual, says it's too smoky. Have to 'hide' it so it lasts a week instead of 1 or 2 days. I checked for doneness and rotate frequently near the end, especially the ones that are not evenly hand sliced. I pulled some early for folks who like it moist, but I like it dry because the moist ones taste like pepperoni stick in texture. Even the drier ones are not chewy and they last/linger longer in your mouth.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Thanks JL. Actually I was wondering about making turkey jerky (is there such a thing?) but it'll probably be too 'tender' for jerky. Duck sounds ideal but they're expensive in the city and I don't hunt, want to ship me some ;)
    canuckland
  • for the best texture and i have used most, try beef brisket . it is the perfect meat for jerky slice with the grain . give it a shot i make it once a month for work.
  • This gives me something new to try. Can you please walk me through what you did from the set up in the egg, the meat and then what temp and for how long. How often do you flip if you flip the meat at all? Thanks and it looks delicious!
  • Hi All!
    I love this recipe....marinade at least 12hrs, 24 is better

River city Jerky

Ingredients
    1 cup Soy sauce
    3/4 cup Brown sugar - keep adding and tasting until it's sweet
    1/4 cup Dark molasses
    1 tsp Onion Powder - or to taste
    1 tsp Garlic powder - or to taste
    1 tsp Black pepper - or to taste
    1 Tbs Dried Chilies - (arbol or cayenne) don't use hot sauce

then try this cooking method mentioned hear in.
    :laugh:
    Mully
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    thats a really great recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    My butcher recommended a cut called eye of round. One long single muscle that's just about the right length and a slice will vary from two to three nice widths. I bought Hi Mountain's slicing board and have been very happy with it.
  • Canugghead
    Sorry for the late response, it's been a busy day.

See my earlier reply to ClayQ re meat. As for the setup, I filled the bottomless coffee can (I knows it's awfully rusty, got a new can since) with four or five pieces of lit used lump, then top it up with unlit used lump. Also put in a small handful of hickory chips near the bottom and another handful on top. Next time I'll cut down on the hickory because I just realised the HiMountain jerky seasoning already has smoke flavour in it (yike!). Actually once I used up the HiMountain I'll start mixing my own seasoning. I opened miss daisies and bottom vent couple of inches. With used lump there was no need to wait for bad smoke to clear, put on meat before temp was stabilised. Temp came up and stabilised at 175'ish. Since quantity of used lump is small, the temp probably won't go higher than 180-190 even if all vents are wide open. Throughout the 5+ hour cook I added couple of handfuls of used lump twice. After smoking undisturbed for two hours, I started rotating and flipping the meat, it's best to do this away from the egg and keep the egg shut. Those in bottom grid and near the edge dry faster. I continued rotating every 45 minutes or so. It doesn't hurt to open frequently because losing moisture in this case is a good thing ;) . When it got close to ready I checked every 10-15 minutes to avoid over-drying...pull the ones that are ready each time. The cook is very forgiving.

That was a long ramble, hope it makes sense.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    looks good, will give it a shot.

is it safe to make jerky without a cure such as TenderQuick or Prague #? powder? i bought HiMountain seasoning because it came with a packet of cure. I've since bought just the cure from a local factory and want to try all sorts of different recipes.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    umm interesting cut of meat for jerky...how do the 'white streaks' in the brisket turn out in terms of taste and texture?
    canuckland
  • I have never used cure with beef jerky. The longest it ever lasted was a week and it got better with age!!
    Try the River City recipe!
    Mully :)