Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I neec to keep my large BGE at 200-225 with 3 chickens on chrome stands. I have the slide wheel not the daisy.
Help. Just put them on it's 4:30pm local time here in the Northwest should be done in 3-4 hours right? I am using "Smoke N Spice cookbook page 166 Chicken on a Throne. I've injected it and rubbed it thoroughly. Looks good.
Thanks Sherry

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Sherry ,[p]Bet you never thought you'd be that involved with a chicken. ;-}[p]To get a grill-level temp of 200-225 you need a dome temp of 240-250. I've found that most of the Smoke & Spice recipes take somewhat less cooking time on the Egg - if these are large chickens, 3 to 4 hours should be about right, but check the meat's internal temp to be sure. A good target is 160-165 in the breast, 180 in the thigh.[p]It's hard to suggest settings for the lower vent & slide top since it depends on how large your fire is & other variables. That said, it's much easier to increase the heat by opening the vents a bit more than to ratchet down a too-hot fire. When you do make an adjustment, give the Egg 15 minutes or so to react before doing anything more.[p]Hope this helps. Let us know how the chickens turn out.[p]Cathy[p][p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sherry , I just took off some quarters and breasts..Great eating. I usually run 300 and over for poultry. Fill us in a bit on your set up, drip pans, marinate or rubs.
    Thanks..C~W[p]

• Teslamania
    Teslamania Posts: 144
    Options
    Sherry ,[p]I hope that your chickens turned out well. Just a few things to point out if you don't already know them:[p]1. Calibrate your thermometer - you can search the archives or look at GFW's site for directions. You want your thermometer to be reading correctly.
    2. It is much easier to maintain an Egg temp by slowly adjusting your vents to reach the desired temp rather than by cooling a hot egg down to the desired temp.