Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about slicing buckboard bacon

Options
Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have begun smoking two butts for buckboard bacon. My question is after it has cooled and ready to slice, which direction is best to slice it? Generally across the grain or with it, or possibly diagonally.

Comments

• BamaBackdraft
    Options
    I cut mine across the grain which can be hard to do all the time. The grain runs in different directions on different muscles.
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Thanks I was kinda thinking that because the pictures look like it. I guess I can judge it based on the outside muscles.
  • Fire Walker
    Options
    I don't think there is a wrong answer I've done mine both ways and can't see a difference except long way yelds a pretty large slab of bacon if you leave the butt whole. I like to slice it with the grain and then us a slicer against the grain it yelds more of a Canadian bacon look and makes it a little easier to fry.

FireWalker
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Check, good idea, thanks
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    You need to slice against the grain.
    I can tell you what I do.
    I buy a whole butt and remove the bone from the butt with the meat attached and use that for smoking meat for beans.
    I then take the bnls piece of butt and cut it in half with the grain.
    I then tie these pieces with butcher twine into a roll shape and then brine and smoke. They can then be cut into bacon slices.
    If you are in a store that sells smoked cottage butt [usually in a red paper skin] this is how I process mine.

The next time I will try and take pictures. It will look a lot like the country style ribs made from butts only roast size if that makes sense. Tie into a roll makes the shape.
  • Firetruck
    Options
    emilluca,

Thanks and I'd love to see pics of that. I originally said I was going to cut the butts in half so as not to need such a long brine time. When I actually started the process I decided to follow the instructions as they were.

If this is as good as I am hoping it will be, I'll be doing it again real soon.
  • BamaBackdraft
    Options
    Firetruck, this is some good stuff. Makes killer BLT's. Taste like reg. bacon but leaner. Don't fry it as hard. I pan fry on med. heat till the fat starts to brown. If the guys at the station get the priviledge of tasting it you'll be making alot more of it! :woohoo: I have 2 butts curing that will hit the BGE Friday. You won't want to run out of this stuff.
  • Firetruck
    Options
    Bama. thanks for the tip. I just took it off about 2 hrs ago and it smells incredible. I am taking some to work tomorrow as well as a fattie which I had previously promised. They're already wearing me out about cooking for them. They say I don't love them or something like that. :laugh: