Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP vs propane?

Charleston Dave
Charleston Dave Posts: 571
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to Lowe's tonight for an O-ring, and of course drifted over to tools and ended up with a 36" Bernzomatic "Self Igniting Outdoor Torch" and a twinpak of Worthington propane (I really need a chaperone before I'm allowed to enter hardware stores). :blush:

Tool guy said they don't sell MAPP. The torch was $38 and has an igniter on the shaft and a tulip-style nozzle. Packaging says it's "ideal for weedburning, campfires and chimeneas." From www.bernzOmatic.com, here's a pic:

JT850_lg.jpg

Questions:
(1) Did I get the right gas? Bernzomatic.com says that in air propane burns at 3450 and "Max Power Propylene" (their equivalent of MAPP) burns at 3600. That doesn't seem like a big difference for igniting. Is it worth tracking down MAPP bottles?

(2) The instructions say it works with propane or MAPP. No model number on packaging or instructions. The Bernzomatic website shows a pic of something that looks like this and calls it a JT850, then says the JT850 works with propane only. Can the same torch work on both propane and MAPP?

(3) Anybody have technique suggestions? Tool guy at Lowe's said feel free to ram the tip into a stack of lump charcoal and blast away, or put it under my fire grate and light from the bottom. Really?

Hmm...the Bernzomatic.com site shows a "premium flexible lighter" with built-in bottle opener and LED light. Now we're talkin'! :lol:

Comments