Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 5-lb. brisket on this a.m. at 0645, intending to Egg it at 240-350 degrees for about 10-12 hours. We are planning to eat at about 1930 this evening; guest will be joining us for dinner. Well, it's now 1215 (5.5 hrs into the cook) and the internal temp is already at 185. I recently calibrated the dome thermometer and have held the dome temp below 250 the entire time. I was thinking it would level off at about 150 - 160 degrees, but it hasn't. I've cut back the dome temp to 200, but the internal temp is still rising. I know I'll have to take it off when it reaches 190-195. What do I do to keep it edible at 1930 today? Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Jerr,[p]You have probably slowed the process down but it still sounds like it will be done early. Not a problem, wrap it in foil, then wrap in towels and put in in a cooler until you are ready. I haven't done this with brisket but have done it with butts and ribs so it should work fine with your brisket. [p]Good luck.[p]Chuck <><

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Jerr,
    Listen to Chuck he is given great advise.
    Elder Ward

• PCO3
    PCO3 Posts: 50
    Options
    Jerr,
    I too had the same experience. I put a 5 lb'er on at 8 pm and it was done by 12:45am (glad I stayed up). The meat never stalled in the 165 degree range as anticipated. I have actually started to log my cook time, dome and meat temp. This is a practice I did when I used to home brew beer. At 12:45am I took off when meat reached an internal temp of 205 degrees and I double wrapped in foil and double wrapped in towels and placed into a cooler until around 7 am when I awoke. It was a wonderful breakfast!!! The brisket was perfect; my boss had some at the Ohio State tailgate for the Spring Game yesterday and asked what I was doing still working for him. Frankly, going forward I am not going to worry about the 1 1/2 to 2 hrs per lb. rule. That maybe more applicable to larger briskets of 10 lbs and more. I go straight by internal temp anyway. If it stalls it stalls, if not no biggie. Don't worry, have a BBQ!!! Hope that helps with some similar results you had.