Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Discontinued rub - need to find replacement

WileECoyote
WileECoyote Posts: 516
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After more than a year of die-hard egging I have acquired several large shelves full of rubs, spices, and sauces of all different brands. One of these was a simple product that is one of my favorites for all-around grilling. It was labeled as "Weber Sweet'N Tangy BBQ Seasoning" and I typically found it at Walmart for about $3.50 for a 4-5 oz. plastic spice bottle. Well I recently ran out and have been searching for it for a few months but no luck. I tried every Walmart within 50 miles and even some out of state stores while I was traveling. Nobody had it and there is no longer a spot on the shelves for it. They carry other Weber spices but not this one. I tried some of the other similar spices and they weren't nearly as good or as versatile.

Then just a week ago I was in a local Dollar Tree outlet and was shocked to see large 14 oz. containers of this rub on sale for only $1.00 each! I grabbed a few and was happy for now but I suspect this means that the product has been discontinued. Here is what it looks like:

31FCCVdwHxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So my question is: have any of you tried this rub and liked it? If so then have you found any other brand of rub which is similar or better without being drastically different? I am going to run out of this stuff sooner or later and then I will need to find a suitable replacement. I am tempted to try the DP and BGE brands but I can't bring myself to spend so much for them. Local dealer prices are high bordering on exhorbitant, and online prices are a little better but then the shipping kills you which seems odd since spices weigh so little.

One reason I have so many shelves full of spices and rubs is that I don't really like most of them and some are only good for very limited use. Too many of these contain a lot of garlic, peppercorn, or other very strong spices as the primary ingredient which I don't care for. I like a more mild taste with mixed flavors, and hot or spicey are ok too, just not so much of any one spice that it overpowers all the others. Any advice from the rub gurus out there?

Comments