Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt a HUGE Success!!!

Options
BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I followed Elder Ward's Recipe to the letter, and pulled off one of the best smoked Boston butts I've ever eaten. This was my first low-n-slow with the egg (second cook altogether). I've cooked on many a rusty offset firebox steel cookers, so I was expecting to have to spend 14 hours fiddling with the vents and fanning the flames to "keep it running right" at 225F. Early on I noticed a problem with the lid seal by hinge. I'm sure it was snug when I first tightened it up, but I loosened up the top band a bit, applied a little southern hog-ass to the lid and poomf! it went down snug on the bottom felt. Tightened it most of the way back up, and continued on my way. Things settled down at 225F on the thermometer, and 12 hours - 195 degrees later, I pulled the 6-pound butt and wrapped her up for 45 minutes. I swear I didn't pick! Well, there were a couple of small chunks that stuck to the v-rack, but those don't count, right? I pulled it by hand, threw it between a couple slices of home made rustic Italian bread, had some all-day baked beans on the side, and went to town![p]I'm just amazed at how easy it is to manage this smoker compared to a traditional steel box. I think it's going to be possible to smoke overnight and not have to stay up all night with it.[p]BBS

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,
    You have hit on the beauty of ceramics. I too need my beauty sleep. Pulled pork for breakfast is to die for.
    Gary

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer, great job! i am glad you found your way to green! there is a pulled pork enchilada recipe somewhere on here that is FANTASTIC! but it also means you must have some left over hard 2 do around here!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Fireball, and the best part about pulled pork for breakfast is that as you are pulling, you're always find little pieces of meat that are just not right for including in the "good" pulled pork. I keep throwing these into a small container as I full the rest of the butt. When I finish I have a small container full of end pieces primarily that are just too tough to include with the "good" stuff. I use my fingers to eat them along with a little sauce. Ummmmm good. It's like "free breakfast".

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Wise One,
    Oh yes, I do know what you mean. Those "not quite good enough" bark peices do disappear just for the cook!

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 35
    Options
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]Good stuff.[p]I have noticed the same leaking of the lid at the rear of the smoker. I think it gets a bit askew from hanging on that hinge. I leave a wrench and screwdriver out so I can loosen and retighten...[p]I have slept like a baby for several BB's cooking all night at 210...[p]Justin